Campus Briefs

Recent passing of assistant dean is great loss for law school

The assistant dean of admissions of the Washington College of Law, Sandra Oakman, died at Washington Adventist Hospital on March 12 due to illness.

Before Oakman was the assitant dean of admissions for WCL, she was the director of admissions at Southwestern University School of Law in Los Angeles, according to fellow faculty member and friend Claudio Grossman, dean of WCL.

Grossman said Oakman was the "consummate professional" who "led [other admissions professionals] with finesse and good humor."

Every year Oakman and her co-workers evaluated more than 10,000 applications for the WCL to fill only 400 slots, Grossman said.

"Sandy was a valued member of the senior administrative team of the law school, and her wise counsel was sought at every level," he said.

Oakman is survived by two brothers, six nieces and nephews, and "countless dear friends and colleagues who miss her beyond words," Grossman said.

A memorial service will be held for Oakman on March 29 at 4 p.m. at the WCL.

Condolences can be sent to Bill and Donna Oakman, 26 Crane Ave., Maynard, MA, 01754.

- JEANNETTE KIMMEL

SC to host 16-hour dance marathon for children's charity

The Student Confederation will host a 16-hour dance marathon in the Tavern beginning this Saturday at 6 p.m. and ending Sunday morning at 10 a.m.

At the marathon students will pledge to dance and stay on their feet for 16 hours to raise money for the Children's Miracle Network. An "array of entertainment," including bands, comedians and disc jockeys will perform at the event, according to Kyle Taylor, the outgoing vice president of the SC. This is the second year this event has taken place, and the SC hopes to raise $150 per dancer. Free food, activities, and a chance to meet the Miracle Children are all included in this night of fun and dancing. For questions, call x6415 or e-mail audancemarathon@hotmail.com.

- J.K.

AU Reel Journalism Film Festival at AFI Silver Theater

Susan Zirinsky, executive producer for "CBS' 48 Hours Investigates," and Sydney Schanberg, former New York Times correspondent, who have both inspired journalism films, will be present to discuss different ideas in journalism at AU's Reel Journalism Film Festival that runs from March 26 to March 28.

The speakers are part of an event that will focus on a weekend of film and discussion focusing on journalism and is hosted by AFI, Newseum, The Washington Post and AU's School of Communication.

The festival will feature the films "Broadcast News," "The Killing Fields," "The Year of Living Dangerously," "All the President's Men" and "Shattered Glass."

Topics will range from inspiring stories to Hollywood's portrayal of the media and correspondents at war.

Several post-movie discussions will be led by individuals who include: Len Dowie, executive editor of The Post; Leonard Garment, former special counsel to President Nixon; and wartime photographer Joe Galloway.

For a schedule of the events and to vote for your favorite journalism movie, visit soc.american.edu.

- STOKELY BAKSH