AU shuttle service faces scrutiny

Despite several complaints that have been filed surrounding safety and schedule issues of Park Bethesda shuttles, the University remains confident in its transportation system, which is under review, according to University officials.

This year, the Office of Transportation Services has received 28 complaints in relation to the Park Bethesda shuttle service, said Thomas Leathers, manager of Transportation Services for Public Safety. Two of the 28 complaints relate to safety concerns, he said.

One complaint cited a shuttle driver watching the Super Bowl on a small television while driving the shuttle on Feb. 1, while another complaint cited a student "who believed that the braking system on the bus was malfunctioning," Leathers said.

Despite these claims, the University feels that it is providing a safe shuttle service that acknowledge complaints from students, according to Leathers and Julie Weber, executive director of Housing and Dining Programs.

In recent weeks, the Park Bethesda shuttle has experienced brake difficulty or failure at least five times according to Park Bethesda resident and sophomore Franz Zedlacher.

Zedlacher was on the shuttle when the brakes failed, and as a result the driver was unable to stop at the gate to Park Bethesda. This resulted in the shuttle ramming the gate and damaging it. On the return trip to campus, the driver was able to control the bus so as not to cause an accident, Zedlacher said.

"Were it not for the driver, Reston Limousine could have had a major lawsuit on their hands," Zedlacher said, when asked if he ever felt he was in danger. Zedlacher said he never felt in danger due to the driver's skill in driving safely during the brake failure.

The majority of the 26 remaining complaints refer to the shuttle being late or completely off schedule, Leathers said. In response to the five brake failures, Leathers said his office had only received one complaint about brake problems on the Park Bethesda shuttle.

"The student claimed that the braking system on the bus was malfunctioning," Leathers said. "We notified Reston and they took the vehicle out of service and performed a maintenance safety check. The results indicated that the braking system was operating properly and the bus was cleared for service."

The safety system of the shuttle is three-pronged: one consisting of a route supervisor, a safety manager and an operations manager all work for Reston Limousine, Leathers said. Route Supervisor Jim Gray and Safety Manager Tom Hollingsworth conducts daily maintenance checks of the bus before use for the day's service.

Reston Limousine said that daily maintenance checks are accompanied by a form that is filled out to make an account of any problems. The form is later turned in to a Reston supervisor.

If a safety problem arises during daily service, it is up to the driver to decide whether to keep driving on the route or to get permission to switch to a new bus. He then makes the decision according to the severity of the problem and the current driving conditions. Hollingsworth also said that if there is a safety concern, the appropriate supervisor is immediately notified.

Reports of brake failures were unbeknownst to Operations Manager David Tadesse. Tadesse said that if there are brake problems, the driver needs to notify his supervisor. Responding to the issue, Hollingsworth said that if brake difficulty does occur, Reston is usually able to find a replacement shuttle quickly.

In the event of a safety issue causing a vehicular accident, the University is free of liability, Leathers said.

"Reston Limousine assumes the liability exposure, as do the majority of the University's contract vendors," Leathers said. "However, the University maintains oversight for contract compliance."

Reston Limousine is a regional transportation service based out of Reston, Va. It provides corporate sedan service, sightseeing tours, limousine services and shuttle bus services according to its Web site. It was once used by the Presidential Inauguration Committee, but today provides service to many area companies such as America Online, the U.S. Department of the Interior, the U.S. Department of Justice and George Washington University, according to the Web site.

International Limousine Company is the other transportation company used in the Park Bethesda shuttle operation. It is a regional transportation service based in the District, according to the International Limousine Web site. It also has the largest vehicle fleet in the region, according to its Web site.

Both companies are overseen by the U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington Metro Area Transportation Commission, the Washington D.C. Taxicab Commission and the Virginia Corporation Commission, according to the International Limousine Company Web site.

Right now, the University is planning a review of the transportation system and researching major changes to the system, according to Leathers and an internal shuttle service study.

"The Parking and Transportation Issues Project Team is in the process of selecting a consulting firm to study our entire shuttle operations, including Park Bethesda," Leathers said. "The consultant will review and compare our current routes, schedules, ridership data, customer needs and route frequency with our future needs to determine what would be the best method of operating the shuttle service."

Leathers said that the University will select an outside consulting firm to conduct the review because it is good business practice to do so.

Part of the review has been completed by the University in a report called, "Request For Proposal: American University for Shuttle Service Study." The study cites many items about the future of the shuttle.

"We have seen a dramatic increase in shuttle ridership during the past three to five years," the study said. "In calendar year 2002, the service provided in excess of 1.3 million passenger trips."

The study also said, "Budget consideration is secondary to all current levels of service provided ... AU recognizes the possibility that an increase to the shuttle budget may be required in order to improve service where needed and to maintain all current routes and future routes to address needs."

The University is unable to disclose the cost of the shuttle operation, Leathers said, since the University financial information related to contracts is confidential information.

Also addressed in the report is a perceived need for new routes, according to the study. "Route 6 - Park Bethesda to Metro (Friendship Heights or Tenleytown). This is not a current route but has been identified as a need to be addressed."

Data for this study were collected through "route manifests." Shuttle drivers record the number of passengers that get on the bus at each stop. These data are then forwarded to Transportation Services and Housing and Dining Programs.

The study also addressed other aspects of the entire current shuttle operation. It stated that the University owns nine buses, has 12 full-time drivers and four part-time drivers.

The study also cited one current problem with the shuttle operation.

"This schedule does not allow for any overlap of the two shifts, time for staff meetings, accommodation of Metro's newly revised weekend operating hours (7 a.m. start), or AU employees who are scheduled to report to work at 7 a.m.," the study said. "In order to meet these criteria, we must adjust our employee work schedules."

This review of the shuttle services prompted the possibility of new firms operating the shuttle service next year.

"At present, a decision has not been made to terminate the contract with Reston and/or International," Leathers said. "The contract with Reston Limousine will expire in August 2004, and International's contract will expire at the end of the semester."

So far, despite this statement, three transportation firms have responded to the Request for Proposal, which include Wilbur Smith Associates, Grover/Slade Associates and KFH Group, Inc., and TransSystems Corporation with Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc.