Student OK after meningitis case

An AU student is doing better after being hospitalized for the rare disease bacterial meningitis, according to Student Health Center Director Bethany Chiaramonte.

The student was admitted over the weekend, when the illness was diagnosed and treated early. The hospital notified the D.C. Department of Health, which promptly notified AU officials.

In The Washington Post, AU spokesman Todd Sedmak said the student lived on campus and was visiting in Maryland over the weekend when symptoms appeared. She was reportedly to being treated with antibiotics and "should be fine."

Individuals closest to the student were immediately sent to the Health Center to receive prophylactic antibiotics. According to Chiaramonte, four students have already received the antibiotics.

The University also said that the Department of Health does not require antibiotics for anyone else, since meningitis is only spread through close contact. Currently, while D.C. does not require vaccinations for meningitis, Maryland and Virginia do.

AU does not require the vaccination, but it does offer it for $80, according to the Health Center's administrative assistant Alex Adley.

Julie Weber, executive director of Housing and Dining Programs, said the University put out flyers and made announcements to inform the student body of the incident.

Chiaramonte said, "[I've gotten some] calls from parents asking if their child is safe, but [there has been] no panic."

Meningitis, caused by viral or bacterial infection, is the inflammation of the fluid tissue found within the brain and spinal cord, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Viral meningitis is the most common and less severe of the two types. Bacterial meningitis requires the quick use of antibiotics to treat and may result in brain damage, hearing loss or learning disability, and can only be passed on by coughing or kissing, according to the CDC.

Early symptoms include sudden fever of 101.5 degrees or higher; onset of severe and persistent headache; stiff neck, especially when trying to touch the chin to the chest; and lethargy or confusion.

The Student Health Center advises students to seek medical care immediately if they experience any of these symptoms. Students with further questions should contact the center at x3380 or Suburban-On-Call at (301) 896-3880.