Campus Briefs

Club Council recieves additional funds for Spring semester

The General Assembly, AU's student body legislature, voted unanimously Sunday to allot the AU Club Council $20,000.

"The GA and myself decided to allow the AUCC extra funds because clubs did not get quite as much as they wanted last fall," said Scott Rosen, Student Confederation comptroller.

Fourteen percent of the Student Activity Fee, or $120,000, goes toward the council, making this an increase of $80,000 from last year, according to Rosen.

"I have set up funding applications to new clubs as well as returning clubs who would like to have supplemental funds," AUCC Chair Evan Wagner said. "Normally we have about $7,000 for club funds, and now we have three to four times that amount."

The $20,000 came out of the SC's restricted account, which is money remaining from previous years and can only be released by vote of the GA.

"I am very satisfied with the decision," Wagner said. "It's like $20,000 in free money given to us."

- KATE OCZYPOK

Womens' Initiative continuing tests of campus Blue Lights

The Women's Initiative is working to make AU a safer campus.

"We have started testing Blue Lights again in order to make sure they are working properly," said Michelle Brownstein, director of the initiative. "We began testing last semester, but had to end tests due to finals and the change in the head of Public Safety."

Brownstein met with Mike McNair, acting director of Public Safety, to make positive changes to the safety system. "Students don't feel safe on campus, and that is a dangerous situation," Brownstein said.

Some changes McNair suggested include changing the Blue Light system to bigger, more visible lights similar to ones at the University of Maryland. Also, due to lack of tests last semester, Public Safety will test the lights once per week.

"Public Safety issues are very important these days, especially criminal and sexual assault," Brownstein said. "Sixty-six percent of rape and sexual assaults happen when the victim knows their attacker. The Women's Initiative is not just about making sure the Quad is safe; we want to make sure students are safe in their own rooms."

The initiative also plans to bring the Rape Aggression Defense Program to campus, which trains students in self-defense.

For more information on the initiative, visit their Web site at www.studentconfederation.org/policy/womens/ or call x6432.

- K.O.

Terzulli picks new director for Student Advocacy Center

Senior Liz Hoffman was appointed as the new director of the Student Advocacy Center by Student Confederation President Nick Terzulli. Hoffman, who has worked at SAC for the past two years and is in the School of Public Affairs, replaced Richard Garcia as director. Garcia stepped down after two incomplete courses , which caused his grade point average to drop.

"I spoke to the staff about the situation, and they all agreed that Liz was the best candidate for the position," Terzulli said. "Liz has done a fine job as assistant director and has had plenty of experience as an advocate for AU students."

Hoffman's appointment will be final once approved by the General Assembly, AU's student-body legislature. The GA's Government Operations Committee will review Hoffman's nomination this week. She will then face a vote in front of the GA at its next meeting, based on the committee's decision.

"This semester, we plan on working on internal affairs as well as hanging more THINK posters around campus," Hoffman said. "Basically, we'll just be catching up on things."

Hoffman's appointment will last for the remainder of the semester, when the next SC president will choose a new director. As a senior, Hoffman will only be able to serve until May.

SAC helps students deal with problems such as judicial affairs and academic complaints. As a part of the president's cabinet, SAC works with the GA and various clubs and organizations. The director is also a member of the SC Policy Team.

- K.O.

Band to play Leonard Chancery prior to Super Bowl party

The folk-pop band Common Rotation will perform in the Chancery in Leonard Hall this Sunday at 4 p.m., followed by a Super Bowl party.

"We thought it was a good warmup," said sophomore Megan Linehan, one of the organizers. "We want to get a whole bunch of people ... and get them in a good mood for the game."

Linehan, who knows the band, thought it would be a good idea for the band to perform since they were currently performing on a special tour.

"They were willing to come and perform before the party and if they get some new fans, then I'm all for it," Linehan said.

Common Rotation is known for its lead singer, Adam Busch, who played Warren, a nemesis for two seasons on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." His recurring character appeared in the fifth through seventh seasons, though his musical talents were not featured.

- STOKELY BAKSH & RACHEL MOONEY