Sports briefs

Disappointing season for Womens' Rugby

Last weekend, AU's Women's Rugby team finished its fall season with a 15-0 loss to University of Maryland, College Park.

Saturday's game was the end of a long 1-5-2 season for the Eagles, leaving them with nothing to look forward to but the spring season.

The ladies' last chance to clinch a postseason berth was shot down after a bone-crushing loss to the U.S. Naval Academy on Sunday, Nov. 2, as they fell, 76-0.

The Eagles' play against the Terrapins showed improvement from the beginning of the year, and the ladies are looking forward to more competition coming in the spring.

The Women's Rugby team plans to be active on campus during the next few months raising money, so look for them selling donuts and washing cars.

- ADAM MONTGOMERY

Senior Ethan Bassett earns first PL honors

The Men's Swimming and Diving team honored its first member to be awarded Patriot League Swimmer of the Week. Senior Ethan Bassett received this award for his performance in the meet against Army on Saturday, Nov. 8.

Bassett tallied three individual victories despite the team's loss, 153-140.

First, he won the 1,650-yard freestyle with a time of 15:45.88, smoking the competition by nearly one minute. Then, Bassett beat the rest of the pool in the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 1:53.94. In the final individual event for the day, he won the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 4:01.36.

The Eagles head to the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md. to swim against Bucknell and Navy on Friday, Nov. 14 at 6 p.m.

- LAURA RANDISI

Women's Ice Hockey skates on thin ice against UVA

The Women's Ice Hockey team suffered two losses last weekend, dropping its overall record to 1-6.

On Saturday, Nov. 8, the Eagles fell to the University of Virginia Cavaliers, 3-1, at the Fort Dupont Ice Rink.

Without a day's rest, the women took on the University of Pennsylvania's club team at the Wheaton Ice Rink. Despite a strong effort, AU was shut out by the Quakers 5-0.

The Eagles look to change their luck this weekend as they travel to Drexel University on Saturday for a game at 4 p.m.

- A.M.