North American elections examined

The election problems experienced by the United States in 2000 can be used to advance democracy in Canada and Mexico, according to Dr. Robert Pastor, AU vice president of International Affairs.

That discussion is coming to the AU campus on Nov. 14 and 15 in the Mary Graydon Center rooms 2 through 7.

The conference, entitled "Demo-cracy and Elections in North America: What Can We Learn From Our Neighbors?" will be focusing on the state of democracy in Canada, Mexico and the United States.

The two purposes of the conference are to study the flaws of the three countries and for each country to learn from each other, Pastor said.

For instance, Pastor said the U.S. has had serious problems in redistricting and register identification and voter machines and can learn from Canada and Mexico's systems, respectively.

Pastor also pointed out that after monitoring the 2000 elections in Mexico and Florida, Florida's elections would be an embarrassment to a Third World country, and Mexico could learn more about how to conduct primary elections.

"In short, we want to know how to improve process in all three elections," Pastor said. "At an expected level, we need to learn to relate to our neighbors differently, and we hope that that will be accomplished at the conference."

Notable guests include: Joe Clark, former prime minister of Canada; Jorge Castaneda, former foreign minister of Mexico; John B. Anderson, chair of the Center for Voting and Democracy, 1980 U.S. Presidential Candidate and Illinois Congressman; as well as other professors and experts knowledgeable in the laws and political systems of the three countries.

"The U.S. has been too ignorant and our neighbors have been resentful," Pastor said. "Instead of lecturing, this conference aims to try to learn from them. Hopefully, we'll be able to create a better foundation for a real partnership."

According to Pastor, the conference planning began a year ago, and a special issue will be published about information and presentations from the conference.

Co-sponsors of the event include the Center for Democracy and Election Management and the Center for North American Studies, along with Election Law Journal, Elections Canada, Electoral Tribunal of Mexico, United States Agency for International Development's Mexico Elections Project and the University of New Hampshire.

Interested students and faculty must RSVP the Office of International Affairs at x1535.