20 Athletic scholarships cut next year

The AU Athletics Department cut all Swimming and Diving scholarships last week, a move that will reallocate funds to other athletic projects.

The policy goes into effect for the 2004-05 season, which means no incoming freshman will be awarded athletic scholarships for the Men's or Women's Swimming and Diving teams. No swimmers already on scholarship will lose their funding.

"We feel as though swimming and diving can compete in the league, even without the scholarships," said Vice President for Development Al Checcio. "[The athletics department] has full confidence in [Swimming and Diving head coach] Mark Davin to succeed."

The cuts did not just affect the swimming and diving teams. An additional five scholarships were cut, reducing the departmental number 20 percent, from 100 total to 80 scholarships. The other five dropped scholarships were spread throughout other AU sports and may not greatly affect their teams.

While some players are concerned that the program may fold, Davin said he is confident the program will survive.

"The team is angry, frustrated and feel as though there was no communication throughout the whole process," said Men's captain Ethan Bassett. "It seems as though the many benefits of this team were overlooked."

Checcio did not comment to what other programs the scholarship cuts would affect. He said that the cuts were a way to prevent eliminating any of the 19 sports programs.

The money saved will go towards University Capital Projects, such as the new intramural field and renovations of existing facilities.

The cuts occurred just as the signing period started last Wednesday, and Checcio informed Davin of the cuts before then so all recruits were aware of the situation.

The announcement occurred the day after the hiring of Joni Comstock as new athletic director. She will begin her tenure at AU on Dec. 8. She was made aware of the cuts and agreed with the decision.

"Joni is an experienced professional who will surely make an imprint on this program," Checcio said. "She agrees with our thought process with regards to the cuts."

Checcio and Ed McLaughlin, associate athletic director for facilities and operations, said that no additional cuts would occur for at least the next three years.

While athletic scholarships will not be available, Davin will most likely gain assistance from packaging academic scholarships and merit awards.

"If Mark recruits a student who has a 3.8 [grade point average] and a 1400 SAT [score], clearly the University would want him anyway," Checcio said. "And if he swims, then that just adds to his appeal and he could earn a merit award or financial aid."

The cuts have nothing to do with the Patriot League or the University as a whole, according to Checcio.

"The University is not in any kind of financial straits, and the league is in great shape," Checcio said.

AU participates in 19 PL sports and spends the most money in those sports, compared to other league teams. While the government funds Army and Navy, all other schools privately fund themselves.

"We're spending the most money in the sports we participate in and generating the lowest revenue in the league," Checcio said.

The focus for Davin must now turn to fundraising, Checcio said. While the athletics department will award no scholarships, if the team raises enough money, scholarships could potentially be given out based on that money. A huge part of fundraising for Davin will be reaching out to alumni and their support for the current program, he said.

"We've already had discussions with alumni and hopefully we can work something out to get some scholarships," Davin said.

While the cuts come at the beginning of the PL swimming season, Davin said he will focus on improving the team and winning the league.

The cuts represent a new budget, Checcio said. "We need to have the right funding budget for years to come," he said. "This affects the whole athletic department."

Checcio doesn't think that the lack of scholarships signals an end to swimming success here at AU.

"Athletes come for the AU experience and all the school and the city of Washington have to offer," Checcio said. "There's more pressure on coach Davin now, but we have full confidence that they can maintain their successful status in the Patriot League."

In their last meet, they beat defending champion Bucknell and almost beat league favorite Navy, a showing that was huge for the confidence of the AU swimmers.

"The whole University should be proud of this team," Davin said. "They were fifth in the preseason poll and the women were sixth and they are still contending and swimming well."

While it was tough for the administration to do, Checcio and McLaughlin maintain that the Athletic Department made the right move.

"We had to be responsible as administrators and make a tough decision," Checcio said. "Students should be glad that the management of the institution is trying to be cost-efficient and create a better AU environment."

Now, some swimmers are trying to balance their frustration with completing the PL season.

"We've turned this into a positive," said junior swimmer Lindsay McDavitt. "We want to show the athletic department what we're made of and we will rise above it."

The swimming team boasts the top GPA of all AU teams and is the only team to send participants to the Olympic Trials. Some swimmers speculate that even though the administration assured them otherwise, the future of the swimming program may be in jeopardy.

"We're willing to do whatever we can, but three or four years down the road, I worry that the program might not be here," said Women's captain Lian Taylor, who said the lack of funding for scholarships may cause potential recruits to swim elsewhere.

Checcio, however, said the athletics department knows how important swimming and diving is.

"We are committed to now cutting programs, and this was the best way to prevent that," Checcio said. "Again, I fully believe the team can stay competitive in the Patriot League"