AU hopes to raise $200 million

Campaign begins AU's largest fundraising effort

AU kicked off a $200 million fundraising campaign Thursday at the Ritz Carlton in Dupont, unveiling "The New AU" campaign to almost 500 current and potential large donors, distinguished professors and top University staff.

"The campaign is probably one of the most important things that is taking place at the University," said Al Checcio, vice president of development.

The event was the first of a three-day celebration of homecoming and reunion weekend, which had record-breaking attendance. More than 800 alumni attended events over the course of the weekend, according to Checcio.

The campaign is the largest fundraising endeavor in AU history, and will triple the private support that the University receives, Checcio said. In the past, AU has raised an average of $9 million each year, but has raised more than $12 million over the past few years. Under the new campaign, AU hopes to raise $20 to $25 million each year.

AU first organized the campaign three years ago, and since then the development program has been decentralized through the schools, Checcio said. Previously, a small staff coordinated all development events. The new program allows all the schools and colleges to actively fundraise for themselves, which has been successful because many alumni feel stronger ties to the individual program or school they attended rather than the greater University.

"This has energized our alumni," Checcio said. "They feel really great about what has been accomplished over the past 10 to 15 years. The only way [it] is going to continue to happen is through their support."

The campaign kickoff is the first public step to achieving the first point of AU President Benjamin Ladner's 15-point vision for the future of AU, to "undertake and complete the largest and most successful fundraising campaign in AU history."

More than $62 million has already been raised for the campaign, Checcio said.

"The money for this fundraiser is part of the financial engine to achieve the other priorities in the plan," Checcio said.

He attributes the "single most important factor in the success of the program" to the support of the Board of Trustee members, who played a large role through their own financial support as well as actively seeking donations. Checcio also credited Ladner's leadership with the program's success.

The campaign's printed agenda estimates $200 million will take between five and seven years to raise and will be divided between different priorities. This includes $60 million for improving facilities, $45 million for strengthening endowments, $35 million for the arts, $20 million for improving academic quality, $20 million to expand support for WAMU and $20 million for other areas, such as Campus Life and the athletics program.

"It's what we need for the University to push us to the top tier for educational institutions," said Senior Class President E.J. Stern, who attended the event.

The first major donation was made Thursday night by Arlene and Bob Kogod, who announced their $15 million gift at the event. Since the campaign began, this is the largest gift that has been donated.

"[Bob Kogod] chose that moment to say once again how committed they are," Checcio said.

The event also included testimonials from students, alumni, staff and faculty about AU and its effect on their lives.

Senior Erin Silliman spoke of the opportunity AU provided her.

"Without this University, I would have lived in a bubble in Ohio," Silliman said during her speech. "I would not have been able to enjoy the diversity or opportunities at AU. "

The campaign aims to further these opportunities.

"The campaign is all about academics. The priorities [of the campaign] is a culmination of two years [of] discussion led by the provost and the academic deans to improve the quality."

More than $60 million will go toward improving facilities on campus, including building renovations and expanding campus beautification. Checcio called the buildings as " tools and resources" for faculty and students.

The School of International Service will expand, building a new 80,000 square-foot building. It is planning to kick off its fundraising in April to raise the $10 million needed to complete its $25 million goal, according to the agenda.

"Looking at SIS you might not know that it's one of the top programs in the nation," Stern said of the current facilities, adding that much of the money "will make AU look like a top-notch university."

The School of Communication is also planning to renovate McKinley Hall "to ease SOC's growing pains" with $20 million in raised money, according to the campaign's agenda.

Kogod School of Business plans to renovate the Experimental Theater to create the Kogod Annex with a raised $10 million.

The campaign hopes to raise $5 million each for Kay Spiritual Life Center renovations and expansion of campus beautification.

Another priority of the campaign is to increase the endowments of the University.

Scholarships will increase, as more than 5,000 students will be helped by financial aid from an endowment by raising about $25 million, the agenda estimates.

The University also plans to strengthen its endowment program by raising $45 million, $10 million which will support new and existing faculty positions and department and program chairs and $10 million , of which will support distinguished professors and the retention of the best faculty.

A campaign to improve the arts program at AU is another priority, including placing the Katzen Arts Center at the center of the AU experience by raising $30 million. The center is scheduled to open next fall, and was made possible partly by a donation from Dr. Cyrus and Myrtle Katzen.

"AU has a real possibility for being a premier school for arts in the region," Student Confederation President Nick Terzulli said of the Campaign for the Arts.

The Greenberg Theatre opened in late March. The $5 million raised for the theater was in part from a major donation by Harold and Sylvia Greenberg.

The campaign will also affect the academic quality of the University. Plans include $10 million to enhance centers and institutes, including the University Honors Program, the Center for Teaching Excellence, the Center for Israeli Studies and a new Teaching, Learning and Technology Center.

Bender Library will also expand, increasing its collection, renovating facilities and enhancing its technological resources from $5 million to be raised in the campaign.

New initiatives will also benefit, including $5 million to "anchor each school and college in the new University College," which is an interdisciplinary program for underclassmen.

Other areas of focus include providing more funding - about $5 million - for Campus Life in an effort to integrate students into the AU community.

The estimated $5 million to be raised for the athletics program will go toward renovating Bender Arena, revamping fields, adding an artificial turf field, increasing space for women's athletics and creating endowed coaching positions.

An AU Fund for Excellence will also be created, and the $10 million goal will be unrestricted dollars for the University to designate for areas that have the greatest need.

The WAMU Public Radio Station will also benefit, as more than $20 million will be raised for the news and talk-radio station.