Tennis opens at Thorn tourney

The Women's Tennis Team opened its fall season in respectable form at the Martha Thorn Invitational Tournament in Morgantown, W.Va., this past weekend.

Playing in singles and doubles against opponents from other universities, the Eagles posted several strong showings, led by senior Katarina Kollarova's remarkable trip to the tournament finals for her group.

The tournament, which featured players from AU, Patriot League rivals Bucknell and Army, West Virginia University, James Madison University and others, is split up into four sections (flights) based on ranking.

Kollarova, playing in flight A, made it to the finals, where she defaulted. Teammate and senior Kristina Georgieva reached the flight A semifinals, where she lost in a match that would have set up a finals match-up with Kollarova.

Advancing in the doubles portion of the tournament were the teams of Kollarova and freshman Kirsten Wegel, junior Aleksandra Zerkalova and freshman Julia Collarusso, as well as sophomore Julie Taegel and her partner from the University of Pittsburgh.

Sophomore Ashley Retlev and freshman Tessa Hollyn Taub won their flight's consolation bracket.

Other teams participating in the tournament were University of Dayton, Loyola College, University of Maryland-Baltimore County, Morgan St., Wright St., West Liberty St., Pitt and Villanova.

Next up for the Eagles is the AU Alumni Fest on Sept. 20, followed by the University of Maryland Invitational starting on Sept. 26.