Sex offense reported in North Side residence hall

AU Public Safety released a Crime Alert on Oct. 21 after a sex offense was reported in a North Side residence hall.

In the assault, the suspect forcibly fondled the victim after she refused to give consent, according to the alert.

The victim of the offense is an AU student, according to the alert. Identified as female in the alert, the victim knew her attacker but has not yet filed a criminal complaint.

Public Safety declined to comment on the situation in an effort to protect the victim, according to AU Director of Public Relations Kelly Alexander.

A sexual offense is defined as “any sexual act directed against another person, without consent of the victim, including instances where the victim is incapable of giving consent,” in the University’s 2014 Annual Security Report.

The offense marks the third on-campus sex offense or forcible fondling since the start of the semester, according to AU’s daily crime log.

In the past year, there were eight on-campus sex offenses total, according to the University’s Annual Security Report, which details crimes that have occurred on and around campus.

kmagill@theeagleonline.com