From: The Scene Blog

"Parks and Rec" Recap: Johnny Karate and Garry Gergich take Pawnee

KRISTIN DOS SANTOS, FLICKR

Note: The following recap contains spoilers for season seven, episodes ten and eleven of “Parks and Recreation,” entitled “The Johnny Karate Super Awesome Musical Explosion Show” and “Two Funerals.”

As the “Parks and Recreation” crew begins its goodbyes as the beloved show prepares for the series finale next week. On the first episode, “The Johnny Karate Super Awesome Musical Explosion Show,” Johnny Karate, also known as Andy Dwyer (Chris Pratt, “Guardians of the Galaxy”), films his very last episode as Southern Indiana’s favorite children’s television show character before he and April Ludgate-Dwyer (Aubrey Plaza, “Safety Not Guaranteed”) move to Washington, D.C.

Johnny Karate brings some of Pawnee’s favorites on air, including April Ludgate-Karate-Dwyer, Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler, “Mean Girls”), Ron Swanson (Nick Offerman, “Gilmore Girls”), Ben Wyatt, who is known better as Mr. Smartbrains (Adam Scott, “Stepbrothers”), and Garry Gergich as Mr. Postal-Old-Guy-Who-Gets-Karate-Chopped (Jim O’Heir, “Accepted”). Oh, and John Cena.

Some highlights of the last Johnny Karate show ever: a lost Goliath Bird-Eater Tarantula, an honorary police badge from the Pawnee Police and being brave for April when she worries that Andy is leaving everything he loves behind.

In the next episode, “Two Funerals,” there are, in fact, two funerals. The first: Mayor Gunderson (Bill Murray, “Moonrise Kingdom”) is laid down to rest. The second: Ron’s barber. While the town says their goodbyes, Ben scrambles to find a replacement mayor.

As Ben runs around, Leslie runs around to help Tom Haverford (Aziz Ansari, “Bob’s Burgers”) with his proposal to Lucy (Natalie Morales, “Girls”). As is Tom’s natural inclination, his original plan is to do something big and crazy. But he comes to his senses and realizes that that is just not Lucy’s style. So he cuts it down and proposes to a happy yes!

And finally, after many frustrating interviews for the interim mayor, Ben comes up with nothing. Despite April’s urgings that Ben become mayor, ultimately Ben appoints none other than… Garry Gergich!

Stray thoughts…

*The Wamapoke Casino: Slowly taking back money from white people one quarter at a time.”

*Donna and Joe are moving to Seattle!

*PSA: Sweetums makes flavored condoms

*BILL MURRAY

*”Good night, you animal.” Oh, Ethel Beavers (Helen Slayton-Hughes, “New Girl”), you will always have a special place in our hearts.

@emilykbader - ebader@theeagleonline.com

Tune in to "Parks and Recreation" on Tuesday at 8 and 8:30 p.m. on NBC.

More from The Scene Blog