Monday, March 18, 2024
SIS - Summer

Christine BN Chin named dean of SIS

Chin has served as interim dean since August

Dr. Christine BN Chin will serve as the permanent dean of the School of International Service beginning June 1, according to a campus-wide memo sent by Provost Scott Bass Wednesday.

Chin has served as interim dean for the school since August 2017, when former dean James Goldgeier announced that he would step down. The selection of Chin came following a national search, Bass wrote in the memo.

“Throughout the intensive search process, Dr. Chin displayed essential qualities of leadership, management, insight, and a vision for the future of SIS,” Bass wrote. “We look forward to the new era Dr. Chin will bring to SIS.”

Chin first joined the SIS faculty in 1996, shortly after completing her doctorate at the school in 1995. In her years at AU, she has won teaching awards at the school and university levels, as well as earning the American Political Science Association’s Campus Teaching Award Recognition. Additionally, Chin has served on the University’s budget committee and the President’s Council.

Bass and the University are “very excited” about this appointment, he said.

“As President Burwell underscored, ‘As a top scholar, a committed teacher and an innovative leader,’” Bass wrote. “‘Christine is the right person to build on SIS’s existing excellence and guide the school to new heights.’”

mcarrasco@theeagleonline.com

Hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu introduce themselves and talk about their favorite TV shows. This episode includes fun facts, recommendations and personal connections.