Greek Life Office

Assistant director of fraternity and sorority life to step down

Colin Gerker has served in position since 2015

Colin Gerker, the assistant director of fraternity and sorority life, will leave his position Feb. 9, he told colleagues in an email Jan. 24. He will continue to work at the University in the human resources department.

Gerker has worked directly with the Greek life community at AU since 2015. In his email, Gerker cited the growth of Greek life as an accomplishment during his time on campus, stating that 25 percent of students are now involved.

During his tenure, Gerker wrote, AU also established the first “trans-inclusive” Panhellenic recruitment in the U.S. and established five new chapters in the Intercultural Greek Collective.

“This has been an exciting few years and this work takes a massive team,” Gerker wrote. “I cannot wait to see how the community and its leadership grows over the coming years at AU!”

Justin Zmirak, the president of AU’s Interfraternity Council, said his organization is sad to hear of Gerker’s departure. AU Panhellenic, the governing body for sororities at the University, did not respond to a request for comment.

“Whilst we are sad to see him go, we are confident that he will continue to make a profound impact on the AU community and we wish him the best of luck in this new position,” Zmirak wrote in an email.

Greek organizations, including one sorority and three fraternities, have also faced substantial sanctions in recent months. Gerker told The Eagle in October that his office “does not handle organizational conduct” since student conduct violations are investigated through the Dean of Students office.

In the coming weeks, staff members in the Greek life office and Ayana Wilson, director of Student Activities, will reach out to all Greek life leaders “to provide a roadmap for advising, support and collaboration” in the future, Gerker wrote.

Gerker will start his new position as a performance consultant with the human resources office on Feb. 12. He did not respond to a request for further comment.

“This opportunity is an exciting a logical step in my career path,” Gerker wrote in his email. “Greek Life is an 85-year tradition at this university, and I depart the role with peace of mind that the leadership is in great hands and the community is moving in a good direction.”

bcrummy@theeagleonline.com