Pride Marchers 2016

Preview: Capital Pride Week 2017

Celebrate LGBT identities with featured events from June 8-11

Get out your colored beads, face paint, and rainbow flags: it’s Pride Week in D.C. This vibrant week is sure to be filled with music, love, and many people coming together to celebrate the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community.

Capital Pride Alliance will host its 42nd annual Pride Week Celebration from June 8 to June 11 to celebrate the efforts of the LGBTQ community in their fight for civil rights.

This year, check out the beloved parade and other new, exciting events, such as the pride concert and block party.

The celebration opens with a Rooftop Pool Party at 7 p.m. on June 8. Meet donors, volunteers, and other allies of Capital Pride Alliance, as well as enjoy the pool, great music, drinks and appetizers sponsored by VIDA at The Yards, FOU-DRE Vodka, El Buho Mezcal and Heineken Light.

On Friday, June 9, at 9 p.m., Capital Pride and BrightestYoungThings will host the opening party, Rainbow Resistance. This dance party is 21+ and features DJ Will Eastman, DJ Lemz, DJ Rosie. There will also be live performances from Tiffany, Ultra Naté, CupcakKe and others.

Enjoy the first ever Pride Block Party at 3:30 p.m. adjacent to the parade on 15th Street NW between P Street and Church Street near the Dupont Circle Metro station. This event is free and open to the public. McDonald's is sponsoring and will feature limited edition rainbow french fry boxes at a few of its D.C. locations.

Catch the annual Pride Parade starting at 4:30 p.m. 180 groups will march from 22nd and P Street to 14th and R Street, beginning near the Dupont Circle Metro station and ending near the U Street station. Tens of thousands of spectators are expected to line the streets.

Pride Week 2017 will wrap up on Sunday, June 11 with the Pride Festival and Pride Concert. The concert will be headlined by Miley Cyrus, Tinashe, The Pointer Sisters and Vassy, in addition to other artists. Both of these Pride events are free and open to the public, though donations are encouraged. VIP and Pit Pass tickets are available for the concert for those who want to be closer to the stage.

Pride Weeks all over the country celebrate the LGBT community during the month of June, and the District is famous for its pride parade. For those who are in the Washington area this summer, consider going to one or more of these Pride Week events. For those outside of the area who still want to participate, check out the gay pride calendar to find a Pride Week is closer to home.

eholmes@theeagleonline.com