Truckeroo

Welcome back, Truckeroo!

The Scene has news for all food truck fans: the District will once again host Truckeroo, a monthly festival that features a plethora of food trucks, with the first event happening this Friday.

For those who have not yet jumped on the food truck bandwagon, Truckeroo will tempt your taste buds once a month from April through September at the Fairgrounds in southeast D.C. The idea for the food truck festival was created in 2010 by Bo Blair, owner of The Bullpen and Das Bullpen beer gardens in association with the DC Food Truck Association, Capitol Riverfront BID, Washington City Paper and Food Truck Fiesta.

The festival, which will feature 15-25 different trucks, begins at lunchtime, and continues until 11 p.m. The event will involve food, live music, corn hole and other games.

From lobster rolls, empanadas, pizza to crepes, Truckeroo offers a dish everyone can enjoy. The event displays a variety of food categories, including Spanish tapas, Vietnamese noodles, Korean barbeque and classic American soul food. Some of the food trucks featured this year are Holy Crepes, Captain Cookie & The MIlkMan, DC Slices, Kafta Mania and more.

Holy Crepes uses fresh ingredients to create the perfect crepe. The truck offers delicious crepes for customers who love sweets. For those who prefer something a little meatier, the establishment also offers savory crepes such as chicken caprese, ham with gruyere cheese and the turkey club.

Captain Cookie & The Milkman, a Foggy Bottom favorite, is a bakery and dairy bar serving cookies, milk, and ice cream sandwiches. The restaurant has now transformed its deliciousness into a food truck and offers its popular chipwich: an ice cream sandwich made out of freshly baked cookies and local ice cream.

DC Slices, another truck slated to appear at Truckeroo, is a pizza kitchen serving flavorful, hot slices of pizza. Fresh dough, homemade sauce and grated cheese are some of the ingredients used to create their pizza pies. They offer pizza by the slice of classic flavors, like cheese, pepperoni, hawaiian, BBQ chicken and more.

Kafta Mania, Lebanese company, serves dishes such as kafta, a Middle Eastern meal. Kafta is cooked by grinding up meat into circular shapes, adding a variety of spices and serving it all in a fresh baguette. The menu has the classic kafta served on a six-inch baguette, beef bowl and mediterranean chicken paninis.

Food trucks are found all over the District, but it is so much more fun to try all of them in one place. With the warm weather coming soon, now is the perfect time to spend with family, friends and some good food. Grab some food from the trucks, head over to the stadium to drink some beers and catch live music. There is no charge for entry, just for food and drinks from the trucks.

Where: 1299 Half St SE, Washington, D.C. 20003

Metro: Navy Yard Metro Station, Green line

akhan@theeagleonline.com