SG offers funding to clubs who participate in sexual assault prevention training

The Student Government Undergraduate Senate passed two pieces of legislation on Sept. 7 continuing their focus on the prevention of sexual assault on campus.

The first bill requires all SG office holders to undergo Peer Educators for the Elimination of Relationship and Sexual Violence (PEERS) training, which is currently offered at AU’s Wellness Center.

“[PEERS] provide[s] workshops and facilitate[s] discussions on sexual violence, dating abuse, and stalking,” according to the Wellness Center’s website.

Bryan Paz, Senator for the Class of 2017, is a sponsor of the bill and said he believes that SG can do more to prevent sexual assault on campus.

“[AU}, like all universities, has a sexual assault problem. One in five women will be assaulted by the time they graduate,” Paz said. “I strongly believe that student government, and every single student, has a responsibility to do everything in their power to reduce that number.”

The goal of PEERS is to “increase awareness and prevent sexual violence through outreach and education,” according to the Wellness Center’s website. PEERS training is a step forward in preventing on-campus sexual assault, Paz said.

“PEERS is great because it prevents assault and helps our community learn how to support survivors,” Paz said. “It discusses the importance of consent, clearly defines consent, how to help out a survivor, what resources survivors have and more.”

Under this new legislation, more than 200 SG members will be trained through PEERS.

“Out of all the students at this university, student government members should be knowledgeable on sexual assault as it’s an issue that affects every single student,” Paz said. “This will ensure that we are legitimate advocates of sexual assault prevention and are trained supporters of survivors.”

The second bill passed establishes a grant to fund PEERS training for student groups. The grant works to fund PEERS training for the remainder of the 2014-2015 budget cycle and contributes to the funds awarded to AUCC club organizations that participate.

“ [The organizations] must sponsor one session of PEERS and one session of STEP UP!, where the entire executive board and at least ten students must attend,” according to the bill.

Each club that participates in the initiative and is confirmed by the comptroller will receive $200 in funding from the student government.

“If there is enough demand, the Senate will likely be inclined to make more money available,” former Speaker Alexander Bradley said. “It’s a unique contribution to sexual assault prevention on campus that only the Senate can provide. We are ready to work with clubs hand in hand on policy to make this the best AU possible.”

Clubs can apply and get involved with the initiative by contacting SG comptroller Abby Dunn.

“It’s important to not get complacent. SG and students all across campus are fired up and willing to do anything they can to prevent sexual assault and support survivors,” Paz said. “In the coming weeks, the senate will be looking at other ways to make PEERS more accessible and escalate the discussion on this issue.”

Student government is also currently working with Housing and Dining to provide PEERS workshops in the residence halls, according to Senator Paz. During the month of November, each residence hall will have a PEERS workshop in order to give students a chance to participate.