Women’s lacrosse fails to pick up first Patriot League win against #14 Loyola

The AU women’s lacrosse team fell to No. 17 Loyola University Maryland 18-5 at Ridley Athletic Complex in Baltimore, Md. on April 9.

The Eagles (4-11, 0-6, PL) came into the game looking for a win to end their three-game losing streak and turn their luck around. However, they struggled throughout the match and could not pick up the win against the undefeated Greyhounds (10-4, 6-0, PL).

The Eagles had a rough start, ignited by the Greyhounds’ redshirt junior midfielder Taryn VanThof who scored the first goal of the game 10 seconds into the match.

AU responded not too long when sophomore midfielder Olivia Mangan shot a goal of her own with 26:52 left in the first period, tying the score.

The Greyhounds quickly retook control of the game. Loyola scored nine straight goals in the next 16 minutes, pushing its lead over AU to 10-1 with 10:39 to play.

By the end of the first half, AU was down 3-11 and outshot 18-9.

Senior midfielder Emily Maher tried to put AU back in the game in the second half by scoring a goal within the first five minutes, cutting Loyola’s lead to 4-11.

However, the Eagles only found the back of the net one more time. Freshman midfielder Maddie Hoon scored AU’s fifth and final goal with 10:20 left in the game.

The Eagles struggled to match the Greyhounds’ offensive strength. Loyola had 34 shots during the game compared to AU’s 13 shots.

Maher, Mangan, sophomore attacker Jessica Wojciechowski, senior attacker Alex Lugovina and freshman midfielder Madison Hoon each put up one point for the Eagles during the match. Freshman goalkeeper Jackie Ferri had 10 saves.

The Eagles will continue their conference play on April 13 when they take on Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa. The match is the team’s second-to-last game of the season and its final away game.