SUB, WVAU brings Chance the Rapper to AU

Chance the Rapper will be performing at AU on April 10 at 8 p.m. in Bender Arena.

Tickets will not be distributed beforehand, but the performance is free on a first-come, first-serve basis for all AU students with a valid student ID at the door. Students will also be able to bring one guest to the show.

Chance the Rapper will be SUB’s last big performance of the school year, according to a SUB press release. Opening acts for the show will be announced over the next coming weeks.

The Student Union Board and WVAU will be co-sponsoring the event as the next installment of their collaboration, which began this school year when the groups brought Mac DeMarco in October.

“Chance is one of the hottest hip-hop acts right now and is definitely blowing up,” SUB Director Noah Gray said. “He’s playing at the hottest and most expensive music festivals this year, and we’re excited to be bringing him to our own backyard – free to the students.”

About the artist
He may be the age of the average college student, but don’t let his youth fool you – Chance the Rapper is an accomplished musician with the talent to back up his success.

At just 20 years old, Chance has already released two albums. His most recent project entitled “Acid Rap” dropped in April 2013 to universal acclaim, including a four-out-of-five star rating from Rolling Stone magazine. The album combines several musical styles, notably weaving hip-hop, rap and R&B together in a quirky and lively style that has something to appeal to varying musical tastes.

Chance catapulted into the national music scene after he released his mixtape “10 Day” in April 2012. The album quickly garnered over 100,000 downloads and attracted the attention of publications like Forbes magazine and other musicians, including fellow rapper Childish Gambino.

Since then, Chance has taken the music world by storm. He has upcoming performances at major festivals like Coachella and Firefly. He has also appeared on tracks for a wide array of artists, including Hoodie Allen’s “Long Night” and Justin Bieber’s “Confident”.

Both of Chance’s albums are available to download on his website for free.

Staff writer Kendall Breitman contributed to this report.

kavancena@theeagleonline.com