AU Director of Athletics and Recreation Billy Walker (right) offered many thanks for the completion of the renovations.

Walker ushers in new era of AU athletics

ON STANDS NOW: Billy Walker has provided leadership for an athletic department which underwent major transformations.

Director of Athletics and Recreation Billy Walker hired three new head coaches including men’s and women’s basketball, and oversaw a $2.7 million renovation to Bender basement in his first seven months at AU.

However, his biggest accomplishment is the relationship he has established with AU’s athletes.

“Billy Walker has done a great job at coming out to our games, our practices and being supportive,” senior field hockey player Alex McMackin said.

Walker has made a conscious effort to become familiar with each team since he was hired in April, a different approach from years past.

“I’m getting to know all the student athletes,” Walker said. “I like to get out to the practices and team meetings and once the competitions going, take bus trips with them and go to their meets.”

On the field, Walker’s program features a volleyball team with the best program start in history and a field hockey team ranked No. 20 in a Sept. 10 poll, the first time the team had been ranked since 2011.

Walker’s involvement in athletics has been a lifelong commitment. The Wisconsin native first began participating in sports at a young age as a way to escape his siblings.

“I played football and baseball as a little kid all the time, I mean all the time,” he said with a smile. “When I was little I wanted to be the running back for the Vikings, and as you can see, that was probably not a good career plan.”

Walker continued his athletic involvement in college, and was later named captain of the Air Force Academy wrestling team. Upon graduation, he entered the Air Force where he gained the leadership qualities he needed to be athletic director.

“From the time, before you even graduate, that’s what you do, they train you to be a leader,” he said. “At 22 I had guys working for me who were 10 [to] 12 years older than me and I had to learn to lead them in such a way that they would follow me, but do it with respect, that they wanted to follow me.”

Walker began his career in the Air Force operating and teaching others how to fly helicopters. He later earned the rank of deputy commander in the 89th Operations Group of the Air Force, taking responsibility for transporting government officials and foreign dignitaries.

“It’s a blast,” Walker said of flying helicopters. “Think about driving a snowmobile or jet ski and multiply it by ten, that’s how much fun it is.”

After his military career ended, Walker returned to his alma mater to apply his passion for athletics and leadership skills for the next 15 years, of which 12 he served as Deputy Athletic Director. During his time in this position, he helped merge the Great Western Lacrosse League and Eastern College Athletic Conference Lacrosse League and worked on the committees for Division I hockey and wrestling.

President George Bush named him the first permanent director of Physical Education at the Air Force Academy in 2001. Upon his official retirement from the Air Force over the summer, Walker was promoted to the rank of Brigadier General and awarded with the Legion of Merit, which is given to honor outstanding service and achievements.

Walker said it was a tough decision to leave the Air Force Academy for AU, but believed it was a great opportunity .

“It was really, really hard,” he said. “(My family and I) love Colorado, but we love it here too.”

Although Walker has accomplished many things during his brief time at AU, his biggest challenge still lies ahead: changing students’ perception of athletics on campus.

“I’m trying to put a big emphasis on getting the student body to get fired up about coming out to events,” Walker said. “I know it’s tough, there are so many things to do in this city and not everyone comes to college being a huge sports fan.”

Walker said increasing student participation is one of his top priorities, offering to sit in the student section of games to boost support. He is partnering with Student Government President Patrick Kelly to offer pizza to anyone wearing Eagle apparel.

He hopes the strong start from fall sports will translate into the winter months, he said.

“I’m sure he’s got something up his sleeve,” hockey player McMackin said about Walker’s effort to increase turnout.

However, Walker has more ideas to build AU’s athletics. He wants to expand Bender Arena to include more practice space, a new wrestling room and a new varsity weight room.

“Never relax man,” he said after the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Bender locker renovations. “We are always looking to do big things.”

esaltzman@theeagleonline.com