Student Health Center sees high demand for flu vaccine

The AU Student Health Center’s limited supply of flu shots is dwindling due to high demand. Approximately 2,300 influenza vaccinations have been administered to students, faculty and staff this season, according to Daniel Bruey, director of the Student Health Center.

“With the media reports on flu, there has been a slight increase of student flu shot recipients this year,” Bruey said.

Seasonal influenza activity is high across most of the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Don’t feel like getting sick?

According to the CDC, the best way to prevent the flu is to get a flu shot. The CDC continues to recommend flu vaccinations for people who have not yet received them this season.

Flu vaccines are being offered during regular SHC office hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday or 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Wednesday.

Other ways to prevent the flu include trying to avoid close contact with sick people and frequently washing your hands with soap and water.

If you are experiencing flu-like symptoms, the CDC suggests that you stay home and limit contact with others to prevent infecting them. You can also clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs like the flu to prevent it from spreading.

tdalcourt@theeagleonline.com