Students rally for Aramark workers

The Student Worker Alliance protested the University’s working requirements of Aramark workers on April 20.

These requirements increased the average employee’s cleaning workload from 22,500 to 27,000 square feet per shift. No new workers have been hired and no wages have been raised since this increase, according to Vincent Harkins, assistant vice president of Facilities Management.

Department of Public Safety was present at the start of the rally as students gathered outside of the Mary Graydon Center. Protestors held signs saying “AU is about peace and justice, practice what you preach,” while reciting a number of chants including, “Workers demand rights and respect! All they get is corporate neglect!”

The rally began when Ethan Miller, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, stood at the top of the steps outside of MGC and addressed a Quad full of students with a megaphone.

“We are here today to show what students really feel about the injustices and the greed happening on this campus,” he said to the crowd.

Students, trailed by Public Safety officers, proceeded to walk around the Quad and campus until they arrived at President Neil Kerwin’s office.

In front of the President’s office, the demonstration continued with Hanaleah Hoberman, a junior in CAS. She became the central voice until the rest of the students responded.

“When students and workers are under attack, what do we do? Stand up fight back,” the protestors chanted.

The rally was one of many efforts by SWA to advocate for workers rights on campus.

“We want them,” Hoberman said, “to take responsibility for their actions now.”