CourtTV hosts election panel

Jimmy Carter included in panel

CourtTV host Catherine Crier, AU's Vice President of International Affairs Bob Pastor and Kay Cole James, former director of the Office of Personnel Management discussed proposals for election reform yesterday at the Carter Center in Atlanta, Ga. The forum, which also included former President Jimmy Carter, was filmed for broadcast on CourtTV this summer.

The show was part of a series of events hosted by AU's Center for Democracy and Election Management, directed by Pastor. Pastor helped organize a commission on voting reform chaired by Carter and former Secretary of State James Baker last year.

The commission held its first meeting at AU last spring, and Carter stopped by to speak at the school in the fall on his way to present the group's recommendations on Capitol Hill. The report stressed the need for paper trails for electronic voting machines, a uniform voter identification card and complete funding for the Help America Vote Act.

The center will hold an all-day conference March 29 where scholars and policymakers will present papers on voting technology, poll worker training, voter registration systems and other topics as they relate to the 2002 act. The event will take place from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in Butler Board Room.