From: Silver Screen

The best holiday movies for you to binge this season

There's nothing better than curling up with a warm blanket and some good movies during the holiday season. 

With everyone in quarantine, it can feel hard to get into the festive spirit for this holiday season. So many holiday traditions are postponed or canceled, and even though it’s December, the holiday magic just doesn’t seem to be as present as it usually is.

There is still one thing that remains unchanged for this season though, and that is holiday movies. Animated or live-action, old or new, these magical movies are guaranteed to get you feeling jolly in anticipation of the holiday season. 

The Polar Express (2004)

This list simply would not be complete without “The Polar Express.” Though not everyone loves this 2000s Christmas animation, the film is a classic and practically famous for its iconic storyline (and for its very sweet hot chocolate scene). 

Following a boy who boards a mystical train to the North Pole, “The Polar Express” is filled with music and adventure that’s sure to leave you feeling more merry and ready for the holidays by the time you’re done watching. 

A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

A Charlie Brown Christmas” is the next staple on this list. Everyone knows that Charlie Brown doesn’t have the best luck when it comes to, well, anything really, but even he gets to have some holiday cheer in this classic Charles Schulz adaptation.

Whether you’re in your 60s or your 20s, this joyous installment in the Charlie Brown series is sure to provide you a nostalgic viewing experience.

Elf (2003)

Among all the classics though, we have to include the modern films of the holiday movie genre, and no better film comes to mind than “Elf.” The films follow the ventures of Will Ferrell, a now grown-up elf named Buddy, into New York City, where he seeks out his biological father upon discovering he was not actually born in the North Pole.

Though the film starts out in a more silly storytelling fashion, by the end of “Elf,” you’re guaranteed to have faith in the magic of the holidays and feel a little closer to the North Pole. 

Rise of the Guardians (2012)

What about a film where Santa Claus teams up with other childhood legends to defeat an evil spirit? Though this plot may sound a little crazy at first glance, “Rise of the Guardians” is a film full of holiday figures and perfect for this winter season.

The movie follows Jack Frost (Chris Pine) on his journey to become a guardian alongside others, such as the Easter Bunny and the Sandman. But, when the evil Pitch starts to attack the planet and take away kids’ belief in the guardians, Jack must rise up to defeat him. From main protagonist Jack Frost to other featured characters such as Santa Claus and even the Tooth Fairy, “Rise of the Guardians” is a holiday animation that will have you believing in all your favorite childhood fairy tales.

Home Alone (1990)

Last, but not least, this list wouldn’t be complete without “Home Alone.” Starring a young Macaulay Culkin, the film tells the story of Kevin McCallister who is (as the title suggests) left home alone by accident when his family goes on a holiday vacation to Paris. Though initially shocked to discover that his family left without him, Kevin quickly adapts to his new, lonesome environment when he finds out that two con men are planning to rob his house. 

Even though the antics of this classic are certainly entertaining, at the end of the day, “Home Alone” is a film that will make you laugh out loud and will warm your heart all at once.

Though the holidays this year might be a little lonelier than usual, there’s still magic in the air, and hopefully these movies will have you feeling holly, jolly and warm for this winter season. 

swinick@theeagleonline.com 

More from Silver Screen