From: The Scene Blog

10 Classic Halloween Movies To Watch This Weekend

With Halloween just around the corner, it’s the perfect time to stock up on candy, put on a scary costume and binge watch some favorite childhood Halloween movies. Here are 10 classic Halloween movies to watch that bring back our fondest memories.

1.The Addams Family (1991)

Available on Netflix

Probably the ultimate classic Halloween movie, The Addams Family will remind you of your childhood cartoons and trick-or-treating days. Stepping out of Charles Addams cartoons, the live action movie is based on the cartoon series from the 1960’s. The movie stars Christopher Lloyd, a man claiming to be Fester, the missing brother of Gomez Addams (Raul Julia). The family is thrilled to have the missing brother found. However, after the man cannot recall any memories of Fester’s life, Morticia (Anjelica Huston) begins to suspect the man is a fraud. With the help of devious lawyer named Tully Alford (Dan Hedaya), Fester manages to get the Addams clan evicted and tries to swindle the family out of their money. If you’re looking for a fun-filled family movie, this one fits the bill.

2. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Available on Netflix

Would it really be Halloween time if we didn’t include a Tim Burton movie? This Halloween classic stars the famous Pumpkin King, or Jack Skellington (Danny Elfman), who becomes bored with the same annual routine of frightening people during Halloween. After Jack accidently finds Christmastown, his new motive in life is to have Christmas all for himself by kidnapping Santa Claus and taking over his role. The Nightmare Before Christmas mixes two very festive celebrations: Halloween and Christmas! So not only is this totally acceptable to watch during Halloween, you can even get away with it during Christmas.

3. The Corpse Bride (2005)

Available on Google Play

In the second Tim Burton movie on our list, Burton brings to life to a very undead love-triangle. Follow Victor (Johnny Depp),a young man who is betrothed to a girl he really loves. But, the night before his wedding, he accidently marries a dead girl (Helena Bonham-Carter).Technically the marriage between the dead isn’t real, because she’s already dead (hence, “till death do us part”). However, the girl keeps him captive in the Land of the Dead, while his actual fiance is arranged to marry someone else. Victor has to figure out how to get out of his “marriage” with the corpse bride, while trying to prevent his “real-life fiance” from marrying another. While it’s not the scary and horrific title it suggests, the movie tells a tale of an unusual love while encompassing beautiful and breathtaking animation.

4. Hocus Pocus (1993)

Available on Netflix

Hocus Pocus stars our favorite trio of silly witches and a famous talking feline. Max Dennison (Omri Katz) explores an abandoned house with his sister Dani (Thora Birch) and his crush, Allison (Vinessa Shaw). Max accidentally frees the Sanderson Sisters(Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kathy Najimy), a coven of three evil witches, who used to live in the house. With the help of a magical cat, the kids must steal the witches' book of spells to stop them from becoming immortal. Hocus Pocus remains a delightful family comedy, spooky but never scary.

5. Casper (1995)

Available on HBO

Casper (Malachi Pearson) is a friendly ghost who hides under the shadow of his three mischievous uncles. When James Harvey (Bill Pullman) arrives at the mansion Casper and his uncles haunt, he brings along his teenage daughter, Kat (Christina Ricci) who Casper falls in love with. This movie is perfect for any Casper comic book fans. You can really feel the nostalgia with the tricks and fun that revolves around Casper and his uncles.

6. Halloweentown (1998)

Available on Google Play

After learning she is a powerful witch, Marnie Piper (Kimberly J. Brown) learns that there is another world that homes all the ghouls and goblins you hear about in stories: Halloweentown. Although all the monsters in Halloweentown are friendly, Marnie learns that there is something evil growing. With the help of her grandmother (Debbie Reynolds), Marnie must stop the evil warlock that wants to permanently transform trick-or-treaters into their Halloween costumes. This is a light and cute movie to play at any Halloween party, or a movie to watch as trick-o-treaters come ringing at your door.

7. Monster House (2006)

Available on Netflix

This movie follows three young teenagers who learn that their neighbor’s house is actually a monster in disguise. The house will eat anything that walks up to it, and with Halloween night quickly approaching, the trio must figure out a way to save the trick-or-treaters from being gobbled up. This movie has fun action-packed moments, witty one-liners and shows that even monsters have a soft side.

8. Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)

Available to rent

Buffy the Vampire Slayer stars Kristy Swanson as Buffy, a Valley girl cheerleader who learns that it is her destiny to, wait for it, slay vampires. The film will bring everyone back the to 90’s with its hair scrunchies, denim vests and very floral print. The 90’s fashions is more than enough reason to watch this movie.

9. Coraline (2009)

Available on HBO

Dakota Fanning plays Coraline, a girl who moves into a new home with her mother and father. She finds a hidden door which brings her to an alternate world, which in comparison is better to her real life. She finds pleasure in the alternate world, until she finds out there are forces that want to keep her there forever. The animated movie has an imaginative storyline that resembles that of Alice in Wonderland, but creepier. The movie, based on the novel by Neil Gaiman, is very creative, vibrant but a little dark.

10. Frankenweeine (2012)

Available on Google Play

A young boy named Victor (Charlie Tahan) loses his beloved pup, Sparky. He conducts a science experiment using electricity that brings his dog back to life. Although Victor is glad to have Sparky back, his actions have grave consequences. This Tim Burton movie exhibits the sweet relationship between a boy and his dog and the great lengths the boy will go to to keep his dog with him. The animations in this film along with a touching story-line remind us why Tim Burton movies are our favorite go-to Halloween movies.

Why not get in the Halloween spirit? Pop some popcorn, grab a friend and get lost in the imaginative world of ghouls and goblins!

The Addams Family, The Nightmare Before Christmas,The Corpse Bride, Hocus Pocus, Halloweentown and Frankenweenie are available to watch on Freeforms “13 Nights of Halloween”. Find the full list here!

akhan@theeagleonline.com

More from The Scene Blog