From: The Scene Blog

5 reasons to go to the National Book Festival, even if you don’t read (much)

4772_book_festivalo.jpg

TEXAS STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES COMMISSION/FLICKR

If you love to read, you’re probably already planning on going to the National Book Festival this weekend. But if you don’t, it’s no reason to miss out. Here are five reasons you should check out the festival even if you aren’t a book lover:

1. Great Books to Great Movies

So maybe you’re one of those people who prefers watching the movie to reading the book – and there’s nothing wrong with that. On Saturday at 8 p.m., four authors including E.L. Doctorow (“Ragtime”) and Alice McDermott (“That Night”) will discuss works of theirs that have been turned into movies on a panel moderated by Washington Post film critic Ann Hornaday.

2. Food

We thought this might catch your attention. The festival is hosting a number of chefs this year, , some of whom are holding culinary demonstrations throughout the day. Marquee names includes former white house chef John Moeller and ABC’s “The Chew” co-host Carla Hall. Plus, since no outside food or drink is permitted, you’ll find plenty of vendors selling a variety of cuisines.

3. Stage [Hearts] Page

Whether you read poetry or not, poetry slams can be both entertaining and exciting. Closing out a day of rhythm and rhymes at the Poetry & Prose Pavilion, the competition will feature two of the top youth slam groups in D.C., the DC Youth Slam Team and Louder Than a Bomb DMV.

4. Graphic Novels Super Session

If you’re a fan of graphic novels, you can’t miss out on this lineup of novelists during one of this year’s newly featured nighttime presentations. The session is hosted by Michael Cavna, the author of the Washington Post’s Comic Riffs blog, and runs from 6 p.m. to 9:45 p.m.

5. It’s free

You’re almost obligated to go after this one – who could turn it down?! You’ll be exposed to a variety of genres, speakers and presentations, and there are so many you’re almost guaranteed to find one you’ll enjoy.

The National Book Festival is on Saturday, August 30, 2014 at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.

asrikanth@theeagleonline.com

More from The Scene Blog