Sophia Wirth

President candidate

Sophia Wirth said she decided to run for SG president because she wants confront problems that are the most pressing to students.

“There are issues on this campus that we have been unwilling to address, and I think it’s time that we start addressing them, whether it be sexual assault prevention, fossil fuel divestment [or] funding for clubs,” she said.

A sophomore in the School of Public Affairs from Boston, Mass., Wirth is currently the Executive Director of Communications and Marketing in the SG presidential cabinet. Within this role, Wirth oversees SG’s social media image, and all organizational marketing, including graphic and poster creation, she said.

If elected, Wirth said she wants to work to increase financial for students to make AU more affordable.

“The University has been consistently accepting students of lower income and first-generation college students, but we haven’t discussed the way we allocate financial aid, and so I think that reopening that discussion and really making sure that sufficient funds are going into that is key,” she said.

Outside of SG, Wirth enjoys watching classic old movies and playing golf and badminton. She considers herself a bit of a fanatic about Kennedy trivia.