Men’s Basketball tops La Salle 68-66 in overtime thriller

The AU Eagles ended their eight game road trip in thrilling fashion, beating the La Salle University Explorers in overtime 68-66 on Dec. 16 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

La Salle forced the Eagles into overtime when sophomore guard Jordan Pierce picked up a rebound off a missed free throw shot from AU senior guard Darius “Pee Wee” Gardner. Pierce sunk a desperate heave from half-court with just seconds left in regulation. His play capped a 20-point comeback for the Explorers.

The Eagles shot an impressive 65 percent from the field in the first half and took a 36-23 lead into the first break. Despite the advantage, La Salle mounted a comeback in the second half, holding AU to 7-19 on shots (36 percent).

AU’s strong defense, however, allowed them to secure the win. The Eagles forced La Salle into 23 turnovers which AU converted into 19 points.

"I thought we showed great resiliency tonight,” head coach Mike Brennan said, according to the press release. “We knew we were not 20 points better than La Salle, and they would come back, so I'm glad we reacted the way we did."

Senior guard John Schoof led the Eagles (6-4, 0-0 PL) with 18 points, and junior center Zach Elcano played his most complete game of the year. Elcano scored 11 points, grabbed 7 rebounds and had five assists. Sophomore guard Charlie Jones, who averages 5.2 points per game, chipped in 16 points.

Brennan attributed part of the team’s success to Jones’ play.

"Charlie always brings a big effort and he had to do that tonight, guarding a guy who is almost seven-feet tall,” Brennan said, according to the press release. “He provides so many intangibles to us so I was happy to see him contribute offensively."

La Salle (5-5, 0-0 A10) was paced by Price, who lit up the stat sheet to the tune of 26 points, six rebounds, five assists and three steals.

The Eagles return home to face Mt. Saint Mary’s on Dec. 20.

mholt@theeagleonline.com