Eagle Staff Writer
Rocío González is a senior majoring in journalism and minoring in literature. She decided to pursue a degree in journalism inspired by her mother, who is a journalist, and her love for reading and writing. Her passion for writing began in high school and grew while attending AU.
In the spring 2010 semester, Rocío took a break from her job at The Eagle while she studied abroad in London, England, and interned at the U.K. Labor Party’s Press Office. She has been a copy editor for The Eagle since January 2008, when she started as assistant copy editor. She occasionally writes for the newspaper.
Articles by Rocio Gonzalez
April 18, 2011
Scene Says: Ignore naysayers — these birds are awesome.
A surprisingly sweet journey, “Rio” tells the story of Blu (Jesse Eisenberg), the last male blue macaw. Blu was taken from his habitat by smugglers, who took him to the bitter cold of Minnesota. There, he was rescued by Linda (Leslie Mann), and the two became best friends. Fifteen years after his relocation, Blu is now being sought after by the nice-yet-passionate Brazilian scientist Tulio (Rodrigo Santoro), who is trying to save the blue macaw from extinction.
Jesse Eisenberg seems perfect as Blu, who is geeky and adorable — when Blu meets a pair of local birds who speak to him in Portuguese, the first thing Blu does…
March 28, 2011
The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus — “The Greatest Show on Earth” — spent the weekend entertaining audiences of all ages at the Verizon Center. This year, the circus is celebrating the 200th anniversary of the birth of P.T. Barnum with a show called “Barnum 200: Barnum’s FUNundrum.”
Grade: C Scene Says: We are Disappointed.
February 21, 2011
“I Am Number Four,” Michael Bay’s latest production, tries to take from two formulas: “Twilight’s” supernatural romance and “Transformers’” explosive action.
October 29, 2010
Check out the first edition of The Incubator’s Hot Spots! Pete’s Apizza offers AU students a slice of life and at a discounted price. Read on to find out about the quality of their crust, tastiness and all-natural soda. Look out for Hot Spots, a new weekly feature on The Incubator where bloggers explore the best D.C. has to offer.
October 14, 2010
“You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger,” Woody Allen’s latest endeavor, presents a convoluted tale of love, life and death with that special directorial touch. Or, as someone in the audience whispered succinctly, it’s “so Woody Allen.”
November 22, 2009
“New Moon,” the second installment in the Twilight series earned mixed reviews for its captivating vampire romance. Dedicated fans will not be disappointed by director Chris Weitz’s effort to bring a faithful adaptation of the book to life, according to Rocio Gonzalez’s review. But staff writer Brian Koenig describes the film as awkward and a farce of a vampire movie.
November 18, 2009
Chances are, if you are a woman — no matter how old — you know what “Twilight” is, or have at least heard of it. With the second film in the series, “The Twilight Saga: New Moon,” coming to theaters on Friday, cast members admit they did not see themselves in this position when they signed up.
Pipe fixed, but bathroom still out of service
October 25, 2009
A broken water pipe flooded the first floor of Leonard Hall Thursday afternoon.
September 27, 2009
New research claims some high school students who choose to attend less selective universities are more likely to drop out before earning a degree.
- Coke machine vandalism suspect arrestedMay 16 at 5:39PM
- TKE International closes AU chapter amid hazing allegationsApr 25 at 11:56PM
- Stacks of The Eagle’s last weekly issue disappearedApr 25 at 4:22PM
- TKE under investigation for hazingApr 25 at 1:38AM
- University welcomes first new Panhellenic sorority in 20 yearsApr 24 at 11:00PM
- No renewal for Schaler stirs debateApr 24 at 11:00PM
- Movie Review: Star Trek Into DarknessMay 22 at 6:12PM
- Movie Review: The Great GatsbyMay 12 at 8:40PM
- OK Go brings upbeat vibes, confetti cannon to TavernApr 29 at 3:09PM
- AU seniors recreate classic tales from the dark side of theater in ‘Grimm’ capstoneApr 24 at 11:00PM
- AU Chamber Orchestra and Singers perform Handel, Vivaldi in showcase of Baroque period musicApr 24 at 11:00PM
- TV Pick: The AmericansApr 24 at 11:00PM
- Lacrosse Head Coach Emma Wallace signs extension to remain at AUMay 21 at 1:21PM
- Mike Brennan named men’s basketball head coachApr 30 at 6:58PM
- Lacrosse season ends in heartbreaking loss to Holy Cross in Patriot League semifinalApr 28 at 4:51PM
- Maher’s role on the AD search committee demonstrates value on and off fieldApr 24 at 11:00PM
- Lacrosse aims to extend historic season into Patriot League TournamentApr 24 at 11:00PM
- AU dance team makes history with first finals appearance at nationalsApr 24 at 11:00PM
- Op/Ed: Koh does not represent WCLMay 18 at 2:51PM
- Op/Ed: D.C. should spend surplus to help the homelessMay 18 at 1:13PM
- Letter to the Editor: TKE responds to hazing investigationApr 28 at 7:49PM
- Sexual assault is not just a women’s issueApr 27 at 3:49PM
- Staff Editorial: TKE’s alleged hazing tarnishes University Greek life’s reputationApr 25 at 5:00AM
- Looking forward, a new era for The EagleApr 24 at 11:00PM