Eagle Staff Writer
Articles by Leigh Giangreco
April 25, 2011
Students across campus are campaigning for Aramark workers to receive greater benefits and foster better relations with the University.
April 18, 2011
Congressional cuts to the year-round Pell Grant program could have a ripple effect for American students even if they are not eligible for Pell Grants.
April 18, 2011
On-campus property theft was higher this fall semester than spring, which is consistent with trends from the past two years, according to Manager of Patrol Operations Cpt. Norman Bailey.
April 16, 2011
Rep. Jim McGovern of Massachusetts believes that despite the influx of information about genocide around the world, the Holocausts of today are still largely ignored.
April 11, 2011
This is an increase from 29.5 percent for the class of 2014.
April 4, 2011
Last week Kirk Acevedo woke up at 7:30 a.m. and walked 20 miles around D.C., Maryland and Virginia.
March 30, 2011
Even though Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., went to Georgetown University, the AU students in Ward
1 Tuesday night didn’ t seem to hold it against him.
March 18, 2011
Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, believes last year’s healthcare legislation is an abomination to the American dream.
Letts 6 residents to pay $7 to $8 for last semester’s vandalism
March 14, 2011
Student groups cannot reserve the Letts Sky Lounge anymore, after it sustained nearly $5,000 worth of damage last semester, according to Housing and Dining Programs officials.
March 7, 2011
Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf called for a new discourse about Islam in America on Feb. 28, saying the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks violated the religion itself.
March 3, 2011
Former D.C. Public Schools Chancellor Michelle Rhee said the state of the U.S. public education system today “sucks.”
February 21, 2011
Residents of Letts Hall’s sixth floor will have to pay for nearly $5,000 worth of vandalism if the party responsible isn’t found by the end of March.
February 16, 2011
AU College Republicans attended this year’s Conservative Political Action Committee to help counter what they see as a dominant liberal message on campus.
February 14, 2011
AU alumni David Gregory and David Aldridge have moved up in the world from their days at ATV and The Eagle.
February 9, 2011
Howard Dean confused AU with a cross-town rival during a Feb. 8 speech.
AnewAU raises over $214 million
January 31, 2011
The AnewAU fundraising campaign brought in $214,113,000 over seven years, beating its $200 million goal in March 2010.
January 25, 2011
Former CBS News anchor Dan Rather is worried about the future of his profession.
The increasingly biased media will threaten the U.S. in Rather said at a speech here Jan. 24 as part of a Kennedy Political Union event.
January 20, 2011
Rep. Tammy Baldwin, the first openly gay woman to serve in Congress, is no stranger to threats.
January 15, 2011
Westboro Baptist Church members said they were disappointed by AU’s counter-demonstration to their protest Friday. Four members of the group protested for 45 minutes on the northwest corner of Massachusetts Avenue, near AU’s Glover Gate.
• Video: AU and the Westboro Baptist Church
November 22, 2010
A Bahamas government official implored students to bring their education and experience to the islands at Friday’s third annual Caribbean Circle Ambassador Dinner.
November 19, 2010
Former Republican Sen. Rick Santorum said he is considering a run for president in 2012, but is keeping his family in mind.
The former Pennsylvania politician said Thursday at a College Republicans event he might make an announcement sometime next year.
November 15, 2010
The University community honored AU veterans on the quad Thursday morning with a flag ceremony.
November 12, 2010
Robert Wexler said the best solution for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict would be a two-state solution during a speech Wednesday night in the University Club.
November 8, 2010
AU students’ cravings for Asian cuisine on campus will be satiated by a new restaurant opening next to the UPS store in the tunnel.
October 28, 2010
The 2010 midterm election will be remembered for the unorthodox and controversial ads in this year’s campaigns, especially Christine O’Donnell’s campaign in the Delaware U.S. Senate race, Jeff Zeleny told an audience in Ward 2 Wednesday night.
October 25, 2010
D.C. graduated college students with the highest average debt in the country in 2009, and AU graduates have one of the highest student debt averages among D.C. schools.
October 25, 2010
The Student Government Department of Disability Advocacy is currently in the process of crafting a document aimed at improving the lives of disabled students on campus.
October 21, 2010
Former Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis spoke about politics and his life in public service during an appearance at AU Wednesday afternoon. Dukakis had stinging words about another Massachusetts Governor, Mitt Romney, and called him “a fraud with a capital ‘F.’ ”
October 10, 2010
An interview with The Eagle’s Leigh Giangreco.
October 8, 2010
Gloria Steinem argued for the importance of the feminist movement in the keynote speech of the annual Breastival on Tuesday night.
September 27, 2010
Students complain of long waits and inefficacy at the AU Central office. Created this July, AU Central combines three offices: Financial Aid, the Registrar and Student Accounts. AU Central Director Jonnel Clothier spoke about the center’s efforts to counter these problems; she said the agency was still adjusting to students’ needs.
September 20, 2010
An original cartoon for The Eagle.
- Coke machine vandalism suspect arrestedMay 16 at 5:39PM
- TKE International closes AU chapter amid hazing allegationsApr 25 at 11:56PM
- Stacks of The Eagle’s last weekly issue disappearedApr 25 at 4:22PM
- TKE under investigation for hazingApr 25 at 1:38AM
- University welcomes first new Panhellenic sorority in 20 yearsApr 24 at 11:00PM
- No renewal for Schaler stirs debateApr 24 at 11:00PM
- Movie Review: Star Trek Into DarknessMay 22 at 6:12PM
- Movie Review: The Great GatsbyMay 12 at 8:40PM
- OK Go brings upbeat vibes, confetti cannon to TavernApr 29 at 3:09PM
- AU seniors recreate classic tales from the dark side of theater in ‘Grimm’ capstoneApr 24 at 11:00PM
- AU Chamber Orchestra and Singers perform Handel, Vivaldi in showcase of Baroque period musicApr 24 at 11:00PM
- TV Pick: The AmericansApr 24 at 11:00PM
- Lacrosse Head Coach Emma Wallace signs extension to remain at AUMay 21 at 1:21PM
- Mike Brennan named men’s basketball head coachApr 30 at 6:58PM
- Lacrosse season ends in heartbreaking loss to Holy Cross in Patriot League semifinalApr 28 at 4:51PM
- Maher’s role on the AD search committee demonstrates value on and off fieldApr 24 at 11:00PM
- Lacrosse aims to extend historic season into Patriot League TournamentApr 24 at 11:00PM
- AU dance team makes history with first finals appearance at nationalsApr 24 at 11:00PM
- Op/Ed: Koh does not represent WCLMay 18 at 2:51PM
- Op/Ed: D.C. should spend surplus to help the homelessMay 18 at 1:13PM
- Letter to the Editor: TKE responds to hazing investigationApr 28 at 7:49PM
- Sexual assault is not just a women’s issueApr 27 at 3:49PM
- Staff Editorial: TKE’s alleged hazing tarnishes University Greek life’s reputationApr 25 at 5:00AM
- Looking forward, a new era for The EagleApr 24 at 11:00PM