Eagle Staff Writer
Articles by Gennaro Farone
April 10, 2013
Despite all the difficulties of this volleyball season, the team competed April 4-6 in the NCVF Collegiate Club Volleyball Championships for the first time since the team was started five years ago.
April 10, 2013
Senior Abby Masenheimer almost missed the national championship competition due to a knee injury.
March 6, 2013
After winning 20 games a year ago, the Eagles came down posting only a 10-win regular season.
March 1, 2013
Poor shooting from the Eagles led to a 66-47 defeat against the Bison.
February 27, 2013
AU’s Stephen Lumpkins took 2012 to pursue a baseball career after being drafted by the Kansas City Royals.
February 24, 2013
The Eagles could not secure a win on Senior Day as AU dropped its second straight game in a 72-58 loss to Army.
February 21, 2013
Despite tying up the game in the second half, AU was unable to take the lead and fell to Navy 50-44.
February 20, 2013
Eighteen days ago the Eagles were 7-14 and 2-4 in league play.
After a heartbreaking loss to Bucknell the Eagles have won three of their last four and improved their overall record, and more importantly their record in the Patriot League.
With AU’s slight improvement, it now has the opportunity to place third in the PL as upsets scramble the Patriot League standings.
“Sitting here on this date,” Head Coach Jeff Jones said. “It’s probably as crazy at this point—- as unsettled at this point—- as it’s been in the past 12 years.”
The Eagles aren’t the only team in the mix. Entering Feb. 20 five teams still have a mathematical shot at the top spot in the conference.…
February 17, 2013
Daniel Munoz hit a three-pointer as time expired in overtime to give the Eagles a 64-61 victory over Holy Cross in Bender Arena Feb. 17.
February 13, 2013
Only six months and seven days separated the day Jolivette had surgery to repair his knee and the day he stepped on the floor against Hampton University.
February 10, 2013
The Eagles outscored Colgate 45-13 in the second half thanks to a strong shooting performance by John Schoof en route to a 70-55 victory.
February 7, 2013
Stephen Lumpkins and Tony Wroblicky had strong performances as the Eagles beat the Leopards at Phil Bender Day, 68-64
January 31, 2013
The Eagles, second to last in Patriot League standings, threw away an opportunity Jan. 30 to beat Bucknell.
January 30, 2013
The Eagles continue to struggle with turnovers and second half play as the Eagles fall to Army, dropping their conference record to below .500
January 27, 2013
Turnovers and missed scoring chances were prevalent in poor second-half performance as Eagles fell to the Black Knights Jan. 26.
January 10, 2013
The Eagles will enter Patriot League play having lost five of their last six contests.
December 27, 2012
In the first of back-to-back games against nationally ranked opponents, the Eagles lost by 17 at Georgetown.
December 12, 2012
The Eagles couldn’t capitalize on Columbia’s early misses and suffered a 12-point loss.
November 20, 2012
After a tight win over Mount St. Mary’s, the Eagles suffered a double-digit loss to San Francisco.
November 5, 2012
Tony Wroblicky and Stephen Lumpkins dominated in AU’s exhibition win.
November 4, 2012
The AU field hockey team’s season came to an end when No. 12 Lafayette edged the Eagles, 2-1, in overtime to capture the Patriot League Championship Nov. 3 in Easton, Pa.
November 4, 2012
The AU field hockey team advanced to the Patriot League Championship, while the women’s soccer team fell in the semifinals as conference tournaments got underway Nov. 2.
October 31, 2012
The Eagles and the Bison will now meet in the Patriot League Semifinals Nov. 2 in Easton, Pa after a 2-1 victory for the Eagle’s over the weekend.
October 25, 2012
The Eagle’s earned a spot in the Patriot League Tournament as they prepare for their last game of the regular season.
October 17, 2012
The AU field hockey team won both of its games over the weekend to bring their record one game away from .500.
October 15, 2012
The AU field hockey team went into its first matches of October against Patriot League rival Lehigh and Princeton, the No. 4 team in the country.
After dropping their conference opener to Lafayette, the Eagles (5-8, 1-1 PL) secured a much-needed 9-2 victory at Lehigh Oct. 6 to avoid a crippling 0-2 start in league play. Princeton proved to be too much for AU the following day, with the Tigers taking down the Eagles, 2-0, in Princeton, N.J.
AU pounced on Lehigh (3-10, 0-2 PL) early. The Eagles scored three goals in the first half, after having only scored three goals in an entire game once this season. AU head coach Steve Jennings credited the first half outburst to…
October 4, 2012
THe Eagle’s split their two weekend games, losing to Lafayette in their Patriot League opener and then getting their first home win against Monmouth.
September 27, 2012
The Eagle’s will begin Patriot League play against Lafayette on Sept. 29.
September 20, 2012
Bouncing back from season-opening losing streak, the Eagle’s have won three of their last four games, due in part to an increased amount of shots on goal.
September 13, 2012
AU field hockey went undefeated over the weekend, reversing a four-game losing streak.
September 1, 2012
The Nationals dominated over the Cardinals on Aug. 31 as members of the AU community and fans donned “Nationals WONK” T-shirts.
August 29, 2012
Losses to Richmond and Old Dominion over the weekend have put the Eagles’ backs on the ropes.
August 22, 2012
Washington doesn’t have a good shot at a World Series title; they have a great shot.
August 18, 2012
Michael Morse earned the Washington Nationals’ first grand slam of the season in August 17’s game against the Mets.
August 6, 2012
The Nationals had a good game August 5 as Strasburg pitched six scoreless innings and Morse added another game to his hitting streak.
Washington squeaks by 6-5 in "Turn Back the Clock Night"
July 11, 2012
Sporting Washington’s 1924 uniforms, the Nationals beat the San Francisco Giants narrowly in the final inning.
July 4, 2012
The Nationals pounded in 13 runs against the Giants to back up their “bulldog” pitcher Zimmerman.
June 20, 2012
The Nationals lost Tuesday to the Rays, whose relief pitcher was ejected when umpires found pine tar on his glove.
June 4, 2012
The Washington Nationals fell to the Atlanta Braves 3-2 at Nationals Park June 3 in the finale of the two-game weekend series between the clubs.
Nats-Braves to finish weekend series June 3 at 1:30 p.m.
June 3, 2012
The Washington Nationals topped the Atlanta Braves 2-0 June 2 at Nationals Park, in a game that saw two of baseball’s best young pitchers square off.
May 20, 2012
The Washington Nationals won the Battle of the Beltways on May 20, despite pitcher Stephen Strasburg’s sore arm.
April 24, 2012
One notable performance for the Eagles came from Paige Lin, who picked up five draw controls.
April 17, 2012
The AU men’s and women’s teams combined for eight top 15 finishes at the Bison Outdoor Classic and the Patriot Open Invitational.
April 10, 2012
Despite putting up 12 goals, seven by seniors, the Eagles were unable to pull away from Lafayette on April 7.
- Coke machine vandalism suspect arrestedMay 16 at 5:39PM
- TKE International closes AU chapter amid hazing allegationsApr 25 at 11:56PM
- Stacks of The Eagle’s last weekly issue disappearedApr 25 at 4:22PM
- TKE under investigation for hazingApr 25 at 1:38AM
- University welcomes first new Panhellenic sorority in 20 yearsApr 24 at 11:00PM
- No renewal for Schaler stirs debateApr 24 at 11:00PM
- Movie Review: The Great GatsbyMay 12 at 8:40PM
- OK Go brings upbeat vibes, confetti cannon to TavernApr 29 at 3:09PM
- AU seniors recreate classic tales from the dark side of theater in ‘Grimm’ capstoneApr 24 at 11:00PM
- AU Chamber Orchestra and Singers perform Handel, Vivaldi in showcase of Baroque period musicApr 24 at 11:00PM
- TV Pick: The AmericansApr 24 at 11:00PM
- Blockbuster films that should be avoided this summer and what to see insteadApr 24 at 11:00PM
- Mike Brennan named men’s basketball head coachApr 30 at 6:58PM
- Lacrosse season ends in heartbreaking loss to Holy Cross in Patriot League semifinalApr 28 at 4:51PM
- Maher’s role on the AD search committee demonstrates value on and off fieldApr 24 at 11:00PM
- Lacrosse aims to extend historic season into Patriot League TournamentApr 24 at 11:00PM
- AU dance team makes history with first finals appearance at nationalsApr 24 at 11:00PM
- Allen, Woermer record second place finishes for outdoor track at Morgan State Legacy MeetApr 24 at 11:00PM
- Letter to the Editor: TKE responds to hazing investigationApr 28 at 7:49PM
- Sexual assault is not just a women’s issueApr 27 at 3:49PM
- Staff Editorial: TKE’s alleged hazing tarnishes University Greek life’s reputationApr 25 at 5:00AM
- Looking forward, a new era for The EagleApr 24 at 11:00PM
- The last meal: final act of dignity for death row inmatesApr 24 at 11:00PM
- Safe sex means do more than ‘wrap it up’Apr 24 at 11:00PM