A student was sent to the hospital after inhaling a gas released from chemicals her Organic Chemistry teacher mixed Wednesday night.
As the gas diffused across the room, the student began to have trouble breathing and lost feeling in her fingers, and 911 was called, according to her lab partners Cibrina Hoffman and Peter Baenziger. The student was rushed to the hospital and the Beeghley Chemistry Building was evacuated.
Students estimated that the first engines arrived about four minutes after the call.
The two students said the gas had a bad smell, which wasn’t anticipated. They did not know what chemicals were mixed.
“It was actually something the teacher was showing us,” said Baenziger, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences.