From: Silver Screen

'Good Time' proves to be a wild, eclectic ride

The latest shows and movies coming to a screen near you. 

“Good Time,” directed by Josh and Benny Safdie (Benny also stars in the film as Nick) tells a one night tale of madness and crime in New York City. After a bank robbery gone wrong, Connie (Robert Pattinson) must get his brother, Nick, out of the dangerous Rikers Island Prison before the night is up.

Pattinson has shifted his own career following the “Twilight” series, which sprang him to stardom. He took two years off from acting before his transformative return in David Michôd’s “The Rover.” Pattinson has also done two films with the famed David Cronenberg, proving his willingness to take risks.

Yet he is still not taken as seriously as one would expect. Everyone who walks into “Good Time” with that naive notion will walk out with a new perception of Pattinson.

His performance is not specifically calculated or unhinged, it is his own piece of work. That said, Connie is not a very redeemable character by most, if not all, standards; he crosses every line imaginable while committing crime after crime.

This is Pattinson’s film and his performance is only aided by Sean Price Williams’ exceptional cinematography. Each shot is up close and in-your-face, so not only does it feel extremely personal, but it also allows Pattinson and Benny Safdie to give nuanced performances through every little facial expression. In addition, the color scheme is bright and paints each scene with a clear feeling.

Oneohtrix Point Never produces one of the best scores in recent history that matches every single frame of “Good Time.” His use of electric beats and synth fits perfectly to the murky, slimy cityscape Josh and Benny Safdie depict.

The film is as unconventional as thrillers get, and a willingness to take risks from both the actors and filmmakers make “Good Time” one of 2017’s best films. “Good Time” is more than just an indie darling and has the potential to be looked back upon as a New York classic.

Grade: A

draju@theeagleonline.com

More from Silver Screen