A Valentine’s Day dessert special: Vegan, gluten-free black bean brownies
Note: This recipe is a modification of this recipe
With Valentine's Day around the corner, there has never been a better time for you to learn how to bake. Let's face it, there is nothing more stereotypical and saccharine (literally and figuratively) than a Whitman's chocolate sampler. But you should Step up your game this Valentine’s Day.
Every time I have made these brownies, I hear raves and paeans of joy and paroxysms of delight...you get the point, alliterations aside. Just let me reassure you, these are ridiculously good and healthy for you.
Consider listening to a remix of this classic tune. Trust me. You need to get into a jaunty, fat-booty-esque mood. Then, proceed with caution...cause I mean as Mystikal said, "Shake that..., BUT watch yourself." Or should it be butt. Anyway--carry on.
TONI TILEVA/THE EAGLE
Ms. Phat Booty Black Bean Vegan, Gluten-Free Brownies
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, well rinsed and drained--I do not use canned. I actually cook the beans, but this is because I am crazy, and I don't like preservatives in my beans. You don't have to be crazy like me :P
- 2T flax meal mixed in with 6T water--this will be your "egg." Let that mixture rest for 5 mins till it thickens.
- 1/4C coconut oil, melted (crucial Toni tip: I love Ziggy Marley's Coco'mon Orange and Almond Coconut Oil. That stuff is straight irie. Of course, you can make your own by just adding orange and almond extracts.)
- 1/2C cocoa powder (make sure it has no sugar in it.)
- 1/4t sea salt
- 1/3C turbinado sugar, ground up in a coffee grinder
- 1 1/2t baking powder
- if the batter is too thick, add water or heck...almond milk works too (above you see what the batter should look like)
Mix the ingredients in a food processor. Put the mixture in a muffin tin. You will get somewhere between ten and 12 brownies. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Let them cool before attempting to take out of the pan as they will fall apart.
"Is sugar and spice the only thing these are made of?" Mmm; yeah, mon!
TONI TILEVA/THE EAGLE
Comments powered by Disqus