From: The Scene Blog

"Empire" Recap: Revelations and resolutions

Note: The following recap contains spoilers for the seventh episode of “Empire,” entitled “Out, Damned Spot.”

Empire 7.jpg

CHUCK HODES, FOX

This week on “Empire,” Cookie Lyon (Taraji P. Henson, “Hustle and Flow”) declared mid-episode, “Those boys was coming between me and my money.”

Indeed, this statement reflected one of the overarching themes of this week’s episode: money.

As the company begins to gear up for a big Empire showcase for billionaire investors, Lucious Lyon (Terrence Howard, “Hustle and Flow”) suddenly becomes overwhelmed by a strange weakness and is taken to the hospital. When asked who he wants to accompany him to the emergency room, Lucious struggles, his eyes flickering back and forth between Anika (Grace Gealy) and Cookie, until he ultimately surrenders and chooses Anika. While in the hospital, we learn Lucious’ so-called “treatments” have been poisoning him.

Meanwhile, the ongoing beef between brothers Jamal and Hakeem (Bryshere Gray) continues until Cookie swoops in knock some sense into them, which prompted the opening quote. The drama continues to build (as it does in every single episode of “Empire”) as Jamal’s daughter is discovered in the Empire offices without her mother (Raven Symone, “That’s So Raven"). Jamal’s boyfriend leaves him, unwilling to bear the burden of maintaining a relationship with a rockstar and baby daddy.

As Jamal and Hakeem continue to fight each other, Elle Dallas (Courtney Love, “Kurt and Courtney”) makes plans to perform at Empire’s big night for investors. Before her performance Anika spikes Elle’s drink with some mysterious liquid. By drugging Elle, Anika proves that she is willing to risk the success of Empire Enterprises just to make Cookie look like a bad manager. In the midst of the chaos, the Lyon family suddenly pulls it together, and Jamal and Hakeem put on an amazing show. Cookie steps in to deliver a heartwarming speech after Lucious’ voice disappears.

As soon as it seems like the family is finally pulling together and is on the cusp of attaining their dreams, Lucious drops the bomb. He tells his sons and Cookie that he has ALS, which means he will inevitably die a slow and painful death. While Andre (Trai Byers, “Selma) reacts with anger and fear, Jamal and Hakeem stand together and demonstrate strength and compassion for their father.

Cookie, on the other hand, is of course, very upset, tearfully admitting to Lucious, “I can’t lose you again.” Lucious, ever so smoothly, replies, “You have me now.”

FINALLY, the moment that we have all been waiting for arrives in a whirlwind of passion and true love, as Cookie and Lucious give in to their feelings. Unfortunately, Lucious’ fianceé Anika comes home early and sees them together, but surprisingly, she slinks away unnoticed. Come on, Anika, we all know Lucious and Cookie are meant to be!

Tune in to “Empire,” Wednesdays at 9 p.m. on FOX.

@isobel_araujo - thescene@theeagleonline.com

More from The Scene Blog