“The Mindy Project”: Punctuality and perception
Note: This post contains spoilers for season three, episode six of “The Mindy Project,” entitled “Caramel Princess Time.”
Mindy is back! After a World Series induced hiatus, the hijinks of America’s favorite power couple (or at least my favorite current TV couple, besides almost-couple #Olicity from “Arrow”) are back. This week, Dr. Mindy Lahiri’s (Mindy Kaling, “The Office”) chronic lateness sets into motion most elements of the plot.
Angry boyfriend-in-residence Danny Castellano (Chris Messina, “The Newsroom”) gets sent to mental health counseling due to his frustrated outbursts at Mindy’s tardiness. The training is led by none other than Shulman and Associates nemesis Brendan Deslaurier (Mark Duplass, “The League”).
Dr. Peter Prentice (Adam Pally, “Iron Man 3”) preemptively judges Tamra’s (Xosha Roquemore, “G.B.F”) friend, historical romance novelist Abby Berman (Allison Tolman, “Fargo”) on a first date, and attempts to re-woo her at a book reading.
Meanwhile, Mindy must face the consequences of her own lateness. Mindy is forced to take Danny’s mom, Annette (Rhea Pearlman, “Matilda”) to run errands, but she quickly learns that Danny’s repulsion to lateness was caused by family issues.
I am so happy “The Mindy Project” is back with such a strong episode and am excited to see where the Peter-Abby storyline goes. Welcome, Alison Tolman! I look forward to more excerpts from Abby Berman’s Southern Civil War novels, mainly because I miss “True Blood.” I also liked that the writers were able to turn the very real issue of Mindy’s lateness into a humorous examination of both she and Danny through the fleshing out of some of the supporting cast.
Confirmations, queries, observations…
- This episode confirms that Danny Castellano and I would have the most efficient relationship. And that our dates would involve a lot of 80’s movies.
- Date night with Danny Castellano is seeing “The Godfather Part II”...with pre-movie trivia.
- Mindy Lahiri is always late. We aren't really that similar after all.
- Mindy’s response to being picked on in the comedy club: "Actually, sir, J-Lo and Ben Affleck broke up years ago."
- Mindy on how much makeup she applies: "I'm basically CGI."
- I have to say, I'm on Danny's side in this. I hate lateness! It’s easily my number one pet peeve.
- "I've longed for this day, Daniel. The day I can finally fix you." I love you, Mark Duplass. And I love Brendan Deslaurier so much more than I love Pete from “The League.”
- Peter’s attempt at writing a romance novel set aboard the Titanic was nothing like the movie “Titanic,” but the love was every bit as real.
Comments powered by Disqus