From: The Scene Blog

“Red Band Society” Recap: Backstory unlocked

4858_octavia_spencero.jpg

AMERICAN LIBRARY ASSOCIATION, FLICKR

NOTE: The following post contains spoilers for season one, episode five of “Red Band Society,” entitled “So Tell Me What You Want What You Really Really Want.”

“What the hell is your story, coma boy?”

Thank you, Kara (Zoe Levin, “Palo Alto”), for finally asking a question to which we want to know the answer. This week’s episode of “The Red Band Society” gives us a glance of the Charlie (Griffin Gluck, “Private Practice”) before his coma.

In an abrupt flashback, we see Charlie’s father (Thomas Ian Nicholas, “American Pie”) behind the wheel of a car and Charlie in the backseat vomiting after shoveling down too much cake and ice cream at a family party. As his dad turns to help him unbuckle his seatbelt so he can lie down comfortably, a truck comes out of nowhere and slams into the side of the car. This ultimately sends Charlie into the emergency room. As we know, Charlie doesn’t wake up after his surgery.

At last, we meet Charlie’s mother (Cassie Lee Minick, “Modern Family”). Like most of the teenage patients in the hospital, Charlie’s family is not foreign to dysfunction, and we see this through his mom and dad’s strained relationship. His mom still blames her ex-husband for the accident that put her son in this terrible situation. For the entire length of Charlie’s coma, his mom has banned Charlie’s dad from visiting. We learn Nurse Jackson (Octavia Spencer, “The Help”) has been letting him, guitar playing and all, visit in secret.

Two intimidating, nameless men in suits arrive at the hospital to assess Charlie’s current state. They recommend he transfers to a different hospital since they see little progression. The men give his parents 48 hours to decide on what action they want to take. Nurse Jackson, attached to Charlie since the first time he entered the hospital, illegally puts his name on a healthy blood sample. Thankfully Charlie narrated this part for us, or else the complex plot would soar high above our heads.

On a somewhat happier note, Emma (Ciara Bravo, “Big Time Rush”) and Leo (Charlie Rowe, “Neverland”) angrily admit their feelings for one another, sealing it with a kiss in the middle of the hospital (how romantic). However, Jordi (Nolan Sotillo, “Prom”) seems to still be under the impression that Emma belongs to him not Leo.

Next week’s episode promises to be filled with teenage envy and even more drama. Every Wednesday I need to remind myself that the show is set in a pediatric hospital not high school.

Observations/things worth chuckling about:

*I’m happy tonight’s episode focused mainly on Charlie because he has some of the best lines. On why he should stay in this hospital: “I’m incredibly low-maintenance.”

*Kara calling Charlie “Snooze Doggy Dog,” I guess because he’s in a coma and bears a resemblance to Snoop Dogg (Lion)? Sigh. Come on writers, you can do better.

*I am very impressed with Jordi’s ability to learn how to drive in Los Angeles for the first time ever. Way to skip the McDonald’s parking lot and head straight to the big leagues, Jordi.

Tune in to “Red Band Society” on Wednesdays at 9 p.m. on FOX.

More from The Scene Blog