From: District Wire

Republican D.C. Council at-large candidate to speak at AU

(Courtesy Dave Oberting.)

Republican D.C. Council at-large candidate Dave Oberting will speak at AU on Oct. 13, the first stop on a citywide college tour.

Oberting launched his longshot bid last month, and the event — co-sponsored by AU College Republicans — will be his first chance to speak to a public crowd. Campaign manager Walter Deleon said there are plans are to hold similar events at George Washington University, Catholic University and Georgetown University.

“We'll be unveiling new policy and parts of our platform at every stop on the college tour, which is why these events are open [to] press and open to everyone who wants to meet Dave,” Deleon wrote in an email. “We also want to reach out to young people — a voter base that is normally ignored, despite being a huge demographic in the District.”

Oberting is currently director of Economic Growth DC, a nonprofit conservative policy group. There are two at-large seats up for grabs in next year’s election, but Oberting will mainly face Councilmember David Grosso, an independent. Two of the four at-large seats on the D.C. Council are reserved for non-Democrats, and Oberting will be competing for Grosso’s current seat.

The event will in the Ward Circle Building at 8:15 p.m.

cdil@theeagleonline.com

More from District Wire