adams-morgan

The first ever “Black Restaurant Week” kicks off in DC

From Nov. 4 to Nov. 11, the event celebrates black culinary talent while shining a light on inequities in the industry

This week featured the launch of the first ever “DMV Black Restaurant Week,” an opportunity for D.C. to spotlight the important contributions of black-owned cuisine and hospitality. Similar to traditional Restaurant Week models, participating restaurants have put forward a prix fixe meal special, and other businesses—such as coffee shops and fast food spots—has offered discounts on various menu items.

Over 30 black-owned restaurants, bars, food trucks and more came together to recognize black culinary and bar talent, and since the organizers recognize D.C. as a “Global City,” the event also includes several allied restaurant partners. From Nov. 4 to Nov. 11, D.C. foodies shouldn’t miss out on deals at restaurants such as MatchBox, Ben’s Chili Bowl, Bukom Café and more.

However, this inaugural Black Restaurant Week offered much more than just the discounts. The event’s website cites that, according to the National Restaurant Association, only 8 percent of restaurant owners and managers are black. The DMV Black Restaurant Week seeks to address this lack of representation throughout DC’s own hospitality industry.

The core mission is to bring together black restaurant owners, managers and chefs to recognize their trailblazing work, discuss entrepreneurial ventures and close existing gaps in knowledge. In addition, the week hopes to encourage the next generation of black entrepreneurs to enter the world of culinary arts.

The week features a series of fun and informational events, including a panel discussion on black-owned food trucks, an awards brunch, a day-long educational conference and even a cocktail competition. AU students can easily support the mission of the DMV Black Restaurant Week by dining at one of the participating restaurants, purchasing items from DMVbrw hospitality retail shops or just taking a study break at one of the approved coffee shops.

Visit dmvbrw.com to download the DMV Black Restaurant Week app, purchase tickets for special events and find participating restaurants near you.

life@theeagleonline.com