Smithsonian Food Festival

The Eagle’s guide to the best upcoming DMV food festivals

From food trucks to food history, the District has a festival option for every foodie

Washington is celebrated for its historic sights, culture-rich museums and delicious food. With options at all price points and a wide range of cuisines and rising food truck popularity, it’s understandable that the district has a big food festival scene. Here are a few food festivals coming up over the next month.

Taste of D.C. Festival

Regarded as the “largest culinary festival in the mid-Atlantic,” Taste of D.C. Festival will return to the district on Oct. 26 and Oct. 27. According to the event page, the festival will feature over 50 of the “region’s best restaurants,” two stages of live music and culinary entertainment, and artisan markets showcasing local businesses.

There are different ticket options available, ranging from free general admission to the $50 “foodie package,” which is preloaded with food and drink tokens as well as a complimentary beverage. The event is cashless and will instead use a “Taste Band” system. Once guests secure tickets online, they will then will then be emailed a barcode that they must show on the day of the festival to receive their Taste Band. Before the event, guests can preload “Taste Tokens” online so that during the festival they can pay for food and drink by touching their wristband. The festival is located at the Audi Field and Fieldhouse.

When: Oct. 26 from 5-10 p.m. and Oct. 27 from 12-10 p.m.

Where: Audi Field, 100 Potomac Avenue SW

Transit: Take the Metro on the green line to the Navy Yard Station, which is a few blocks from the festival.

Curbside Cookoff

Curbside Cookoff, the “DMV’s original food truck party,” will be held Oct. 26 on Market St. SW. Attendees can sample from 10 different food trucks and then cast their vote for the truck that will receive the “Golden Spatula” award. In addition to food trucks, there will be live music, local artisans, mobile retailers and family friendly games. The festival offers the opportunity to support local businesses and engage with DMV communities. The event is free to the public and all food and drink can be purchased on site.

Food festivals in the District of Columbia are an opportunity to have some of the district’s best culinary offerings. They also provide a chance to explore different neighborhoods around the city, as well as engage with the broader D.C. community. There is a festival option fit for every kind of foodie, from the food truck frequenter to the OpenTable enthusiast. If you are ever looking for a fun off-campus weekend activity, checking out one ─ or all ─ of these festivals might be the perfect option.

When: Oct. 26 from 11:30 a.m.-8 p.m.

Where: 425 M St. SW

Transit: Take the Green line to the Waterfront-SEU Station.

Smithsonian Food History Festival

On Nov. 1 through Nov. 3, the Smithsonian Food History Festival will return for its fourth year of serving the District of Columbia with its historical and cultural food experience. The festival will explore the history of regional food cultures in the United States and how changing dynamic of these food cultures today.

Guided by scholars, culinary leaders and researchers, guests will explore the role we all play “in shaping the future of food.” Activities include cooking demonstrations, hands-on learning, a black tie gala, beer history, dance performances and more. Entry to the event is free and is located at the Smithsonian Museum.

When: Nov. 3 from 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m.

Where: The National Museum of American History, 14th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW.

Transit: Take the Metro Orange line to the Smithsonian Station.

dharvey@theeagleonline.com