The Move BeefSteak Curry

#TheFoodMove: Beefsteak

A veggie haven with a location in Tenleytown that is the ultimate spot for healthy food

Our weekly search for restaurants that probably aren’t on your radar. As young, broke college kids we will bring you our honest reviews of affordable restaurants in dope neighborhoods.

Calling out all veggie lovers, this one’s for you. And even if you aren’t into vegetables, you’ll still be interested in this review.

After the Festival of India’s exhibit on vegetarianism on the quad, we decided to go for a healthier option this week, and we didn’t have to look very far.

We decided to hit up Beefsteak, which is right by the AU-Tenleytown Metro stop. Created by legendary D.C. chef Jose Andres, Beefsteak puts veggies “center stage.” As soon as you walk in the door, you immediately pick up on the restaurant's environmentally friendly vibe. All the produce here is locally sourced.

We decided to try The Edan, the Little Wild Things Curry and the Beefsteak Burger. These are the most popular dishes, and get a 100 percent recommendation from us.

The Edan veggie bowl has so much to offer. It’s filled with quinoa, edamame, zucchini, cilantro sauce, garlic yogurt and cucumber salad.

The Little Wild Things Curry has rice, lentils, carrots, spring onion blend, kale, kohlrabi, green curry sauce, toasted sesame seeds and radish.

Our last dish, the Beefsteak Burger, was definitely our favorite. It’s quite simply unlike any burger we’ve ever tried. It’s made from marinated beets, pickled red onions, leaf lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, vegan chipotle mayo, olive oil and sea salt on an olive oil brioche. Although this burger is entirely meatless, it is topped with a delicious tomato that adds in the extra taste and makes up for the lack of meat. We were skeptical at first too, but you’re going to have to trust us on this one. We also recommend adding avocado to yours if you’re feeling extra hungry.

We’d describe Beefsteak as a healthier Chipotle that gives you a variety of fresh, locally grown vegetables at your fingertips. The chill environment is similar to that of a cozy coffee shop, and we’d definitely recommend it as a place to hang and study.

Each table has outlets and USB ports, so you could spend hours there doing work if you, hypothetically, haven’t started studying for any of your exams. The USB ports are also great if you want to post a picture of your awesome food, but your phone is about to die.

Beefsteak has additional locations such as Dupont Circle and Foggy Bottom. And if you are on the run, they have you covered with their app that is easy for ordering food for pick up.

We cannot recommend that you try this restaurant and these dishes more, so you need to hurry because their menu is subject to change soon.

Zak Bedrosian and Aylon Berger are food critics for The Eagle. Additionally, they are the co-founders of TheMove, a weekly social guide for American University students.

themoveau@gmail.com