Drake Concert Photo

Drake and Migos rock D.C. with a two-night stop during Aubrey and the Three Migos Tour

Drake filled Capital One Arena with an over-the-top show

Drake visited Washington, D.C., Sept. 12 and 13 at the Capital One Arena, ready to leave the audience wanting more as the rapper premiered his “Aubrey and the Three Migos” Tour. The anticipation of waiting for Drake’s appearance was full of uncertainty. Once Drake appeared on stage, the question, “Is Drake really right in front of me?” may have been on the minds of many attending the concert.

Migos, a hip-hop trio from Atlanta, opened for Drake. Since their first album in 2013, the group has become better known, especially with the release of “Culture” in 2017 and “Culture II” in 2018, which featured hits like “Bad and Boujee” and “T-Shirt.” Born in Canada, Drake has been successful since 2011, with hits streamed millions of times on every album. The rapper consistently sings about his roots in Toronto, his relationships, society and his status in Hollywood.

After Migos started off the night, Drake took over with an energetic hour and a half show. The Canadian native kicked off the concert with “8 out of 10,” as a mesh curtain around the perimeter of the stage rose up to reveal the singer.

Drake continuously mentioned D.C. as an important part to the beginning of his career, claiming that “D.C. has been with [him] since the beginning,” which created a personal feel and sense of connection to those in the audience.

Finishing the first half of the show with his feature in “Yes Indeed” by Lil Baby, Drake sent a

yellow Ferrari in the air over the stage. The crowd exploded, and lights from everyone’s phones lit up the arena as they were uploading pictures and videos of the flying car to their social media.

Halfway through the show, Migos joined Drake on stage to perform “Walk It Talk It,” “Versace” and “Stir Fry.” Seeing Migos and Drake perform on the same stage was pure entertainment. Watching the entertainers you hear every day on the radio singing and dancing on stage at the same time was hard to take your eyes off.

Drake began the second half of the concert with a Michael Jackson tribute by covering “Rock With You,” gracing the arena with a calm break in the chaos before bringing out backup dancers and a basketball hoop. Setting up the basketball hoop at the end of the stage, Drake picked a fan from the crowd for a shooting contest. Rewards were set at $250 for shooting from the foul line, $500 for a three-pointer and $25,000 for sinking a basket from half court.

Drake finished the show with his latest hits, “Nice for What” and “God’s Plan.” For “In My

Feelings,” the star displayed videos of different fans around the world dancing to his song.

To say goodbye, Drake played a video of him when he first started recording music. As he

descended down into the stage, he told the crowd that he planned on finishing the tour and

spending time with his family before heading back to the recording studio.

Drake left the audience feeling shocked and euphoric as they exited the arena. It’s hard to be in bad spirits after watching your favorite songs from the past 10 years be performed by one of the most famous rappers in the world.

anickell@theeagleonline.com

Still mourning that one show that was cancelled before you could see how it ends? Couch Potatoes co-hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu have you covered as they discuss all the series that shouldn't have ended when they did.