Loretta Lynch

Loretta Lynch to speak on campus for All-American Weekend

Former U.S. attorney general to speak on “empowering the next generation of change agents”

Former U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch will speak in Bender Arena at 8:30 p.m. on Oct. 19 as part of All-American Weekend, the Kennedy Political Union announced today.

Lynch will speak about "empowering the next generation of change agents," according to a KPU press release. She is the first African-American woman to be appointed U.S. Attorney General, serving from 2015 to 2017 under the Obama administration.

During her time as attorney general, Lynch oversaw investigations relating to police brutality and misconduct in cities such as Ferguson, Missouri and Baltimore, Maryland.

Born in Greensboro, North Carolina, Lynch is a graduate of Harvard Law School and began her law career at a practice in New York. She worked as a federal prosecutor before serving as the U.S. Attorney General for the Eastern District of New York.

Lynch is the latest public figure to speak at All-American Weekend, following appearances from Gabrielle Union, Tony Goldwyn and Madeleine Albright.

Doors for the event open at 7:30 p.m. All AU students will be admitted for free with their student ID and guests can purchase tickets through the reservation site. The event is open to the AU community only, according to the release.

The event is co-sponsored by the Women’s Initiative, AU NAACP, American Pre-Law Society Phi Alpha Delta and She’s the First.

adonohue@theeagleonline.com