upass

Metro permanently approves U-Pass program at AU

New and returning students must pick up new U-Pass card this semester

Following a two-year pilot program, the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority approved the permanent adoption of the U-Pass program with AU in April, the University wrote in a memo to students Monday. The program, which began in August 2016, gives all full-time undergraduate, graduate and law school students unlimited Metro rides during the school year for a flat fee.

Since its inception, the U-Pass program at AU has generated over 2.2 million rides and increased ridership in the Tenleytown area by 10 percent compared to 2015, according to a WMATA report released in April. In early 2018, WMATA added 10 other schools with limited presences in Washington to the program, including Boston University and Ohio State University.

The U-Pass is priced at $1 per day per student, adding up to a mandatory $136 fee per semester. According to the April report, WMATA hopes to expand the program to other D.C.-area universities, including Catholic University and the University of Maryland-College Park, among others.

This fall, both new and returning AU students must pick up a new U-Pass, according to the university memo. Students must have their AU ID card and have filled out a digital disclaimer on the AU portal to pick up the pass.

The U-Pass will be active on Aug. 17 and deactivate on Dec. 30. Undergraduate and graduate students can pick up their passes on the first floor of the Mary Graydon Center at the times below:

• Aug. 17: 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Aug. 18: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

After those dates, undergraduate and graduate students can pick up passes in the Collaboration Workspace (Room 111) in the Don Myers Technology & Innovation Building on East Campus at the times below:

• Aug. 20 to Aug. 25: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
  • Aug. 27 to Aug. 29: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Incoming and returning law students can pick up their passes from the commons area in the Washington College of Law. The times are listed below:

• Incoming students: Aug. 20 from 3 to 5 p.m., Aug. 21 from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. and Aug. 23 from 4 to 6 p.m.
  • Returning students: Aug. 27 and Aug. 28 from 2 to 6 p.m.

After Aug. 30, students can visit Parking & Commuter Services on the terrace level of the Don Myers building to pick up a pass.