PUBLIC SAFETY BUILDING 2

Police and risk management departments to combine under new name

Departments now known as University Safety & Security Services

AU’s police and risk management departments will now be jointly called University Safety & Security Services (USSS), according to a Thursday memo sent by Phil Morse, the head of AU police, and Dan Nichols, the head of risk, safety and transportation programs.

American University Police Department will no longer be referred to as “Public Safety,” according to the memo. Morse and Nichols said their departments -- formally known as University Police & Emergency Management and Risk, Safety & Transportation Programs -- have changed substantially over the past five years.

“Our departments have gained additional staff, a new facility and increased budgetary resources amid a mission that has grown in scope and complexity,” they wrote.

The Parking & Traffic Services department has also received a new name: Parking & Commuter Services. The name better reflects its role in “transportation demand management,” the memo said.

The memo also lays out resources for police communication with the community, self-defense services, crime prevention and emergency response. For more information, read the full memo here.

jevans@theeagleonline.com and ojames@theeagleonline.com