Celebrate cherry blossoms and more this weekend in D.C.

Life After Hours: March 30 - April 1

Take advantage of the warm weather with art, cherry blossoms, and kites

As it seems like the weather is finally warming up, what’s better to do than explore all of the amazing events D.C. has to offer? This weekend, dive into the best things that spring has to offer with art, cherry blossoms and kites.

No Spectators: The Art of Burning Man

The Smithsonian’s Renwick Gallery opens a new exhibit this weekend that features many amazing artworks found at Burning Man, an annual festival that takes place in the Nevada Black Rock Desert. The exhibit contains artwork from previous festival years as well as some new pieces from artists who regularly contribute to Burning Man. Six of the sculptures were too big to fit inside the gallery itself and have been placed in the surrounding neighborhood.

“This is literally the largest exhibition that our museum has ever put on. It’s the entire building and neighborhood combined” said Nora Atkinson, a curator at the Renwick Gallery.

This event is free and open to the public.

Where: Renwick Gallery (Pennsylvania Avenue at 17th Street NW)

When: March 30, 2018 - Jan 21, 2019

Metro: Red Line to Farragut North

Open Studio: "Paints, Pigments, Brushes: All about Japanese Painting"

Another Smithsonian favorite, The Freer Sackler Gallery of Art, is hosting a painting workshop about nihonga, a Japanese style of painting. If viewing the cherry blossoms isn’t enough, this workshop will teach you how to paint them since this event is a part of the National Cherry Blossom Festival. Visiting Japanese artists Ideguchi Yuki and Iwaizumi Kei will be painting at this event.

Where: Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Level B2

When: March 31, 2018, 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Metro: Orange, Silver, and Blue Line to Smithsonian

Blossom Kite Festival

The National Cherry Blossom Festival is hosting its seventh annual kite festival. Add your own color to the sky in the Adult Kite Makers competition or watch the Hot Tricks Showdown. There will also be a Rokkaku Battle, where kites will fight in the sky. You can bring your own kite to fly in the public field, or even buy one from a vendor at the event.

Where: Washington Monument, near 17th St NW and Constitution Ave

When: March 31, 10 a.m to 4:30 p.m.

eholmes@theeagleonline.com