HD-SN-99-01772

Life After Hours: Feb. 16-18

Celebrate Frederick Douglass’ birthday and more this weekend

With Valentine’s Day magic still in the air, check out these events for fun ways to spend time with those you care about.

Frederick Douglass’ BiCentennial

The National Park Service is celebrating abolitionist Frederick Douglass’s 200th birthday by hosting a Bicentennial Birthday Weekend. Admission is free to tour his house in Anacostia. Throughout the weekend there will be many speakers and performances including Douglass’ great-grandson Kenneth Morris, re-enactor Darius Wallace, and the D.C Strings Workshop which will play pieces of music from Douglass’ lifetime.

This event is free to the public.

Where: 1411 W Street SE, Washington, DC, 20020

When: Feb. 15-19 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Metro: Green Line to Anacostia Station

Drink The District Wine Festival: 50 Shades Of Rosé

For those who are over 21, the French Embassy is hosting a wine tasting on Friday and Saturday. The wine festival will include over 100 wines to sample and pair with many delicious appetizers. In between sips the festival will also host an artisan market featuring many local DC vendors.

Tickets are $69 for general admission.

Where: La Maison Française at The French Embassy, 4101 Reservoir Rd NW

When: Feb. 16 6-9 p.m.; Feb. 17 1-4 p.m. and 6-9 p.m.

Metro: From Ward Circle take the M4 towards Sibley Hospital and get off at Loughboro Rd NW & Sibley Hospital. Transfer onto the D6 and get off at Reservoir Road and Georgetown Medical School.

Mason Science Slam Competition

Support our fellow DMV consortium school George Mason University by attending their annual Science Slam Competition. Students will be presenting their science projects to a panel of judges in hopes of winning a prize of $1000. Each project has 10 minutes or less to present. Learn about the research students are engaged in and kick off your weekend with a great night of science entertainment. Heavy appetizers and a few laughs are guaranteed.

Tickets are free to the public.

Where: George Mason University Research Hall, Room 163

When: Feb. 16, 7-9 p.m.

Metro: Orange Line to Vienna/ Fairfax- GMU, Take the Gold 1 bus to the GMU Campus

eholmes@theeagleonline.com