Women’s basketball defeats Colgate 67-44

Team closes out January undefeated

The women’s basketball team finished Jan. undefeated with a 67-44 win against Colgate University on Saturday in Bender Arena.

The Eagles (17-4, 10-0 PL) gradually built a 20-point lead on their opponents. Head coach Megan Gebbia credited this to their defensive strategies and “quick transition baskets.”

“It didn’t seem like all of a sudden, we were up by 20,” Gebbia said. “It just slowly happened. It doesn't happen in waves, it just happens over time.”

Senior guard Emily Kinneston (16 points) led the team in scoring for the third game in a row. Kinneston played 25 minutes and made two out of her three attempted 3-point jump shots and added two rebounds.

“To come out and fluster them is a good sign going into February and all the tough away games we have,” Kinneston said.

Freshman guard Indeya Sanders played 10 minutes and scored four points in that time. Her 3-point shot put AU 10 points ahead of the Colgate Raiders, and the Eagles maintained their double-digit lead until the final buzzer.

“I've been struggling a lot in the season, [so this 3-point basket] felt a lot better than the other ones because I had more confidence,” Sanders said. “It was [the kind of shot where] as soon as it leaves your fingertips, you know its going in.”

The guards doted on one another’s personalities and accomplishments following the win in the post-game press conference. Sanders said that she follows in Kinneston’s footsteps and watches her training strategy, especially in defense.

“Emily’s the main person I look up to,” Sanders said. “I know that if I learn a few tips from her, then hopefully I’ll be just as great.”

Senior forward Michael Harris gave her team five rebounds and 9 points during her 27 minutes of play time. Junior forward Cecily Carl tied Harris for the most minutes played, but Carl put 10 points on the board and grabbed four rebounds. Carl missed all five 3-point shots that she attempted.

All but two (junior forward Morgan Bartner and freshman forward Maddie Royale) got some time on the court during Saturday’s afternoon game. Senior forward Io Chaney scored 2 points in seven minutes of game time.

Sophomore forward TaeKenya Cleveland scored two points – a layup – for the Eagles in her 10 minutes on the court. She also recorded two rebounds (one offensive and one defensive), pleasing her head coach.

“I liked our rebounding,” Gebbia said. “We've been working a lot on that in practice because we’re not highly ranked in the rebound category in our league.”

The Eagles outrebounded the Raiders 33-31, which is the third time this season that AU finished with a rebounding edge over its opponent.

Women’s basketball’s next game will be Saturday, Feb. 3 at 2 p.m. in Bender against Army West Point for National Girls and Women in Sports Day.

kcataudella@theeagleonline.com