Gorillaz Concert Preview

Concert Preview: Gorillaz

The dynamic, genre blending group comes to Merriweather Post Pavilion on July 15

Damon Albarn’s Grammy Award-winning musical group Gorillaz is embarking on their first U.S. tour in 10 years, stopping at Merriweather Post Pavilion on July 17. Rappers Danny Brown and Vince Staples, who both appear on Gorillaz latest album, “Humanz,” will open the tour, which kicked off in Chicago earlier this month.

The experimental, virtual band had a run of fantastic albums in the 2000s, and was praised for mixing styles from alt-rock to reggae on their three studio albums in the decade. Though “Humanz” received mixed reviews at best, the album did feature some highlights, including “Ascension,” which features Vince Staples, and “Saturnz Bars.”

The band’s flawless second album “Demon Dayz” (2005) proved the group was more than a one-hit wonder, and could produce a moody, concept album with mainstream appeal and plenty of killer pop songs.

Playing those songs on tour will be real-life musicians performing the music for their cartoon alter egos — Murdoc, Noodle, Russel and 2D — live on a screen behind them. Albarn, who fronted the beloved britpop group Blur, does it all on stage, orchestrating the chaos with charisma and an abundance of energy.

Gorillaz puts on a can’t miss live show, even for the casual fan, and the music world is better for having them back on stage.

The group hits the Pavilion on July 17, limited tickets are still available here. Doors open at 6 p.m for the 7:30 p.m. show.

growell@theeagleonline.com