Echosmith returns with their new single "Goodbye".

Echosmith returns with a new sound, strong single

The band is saying “Goodbye” to lead guitarist and hello to a new era of music.

Echosmith debuted with a fresh sound in their new single, “Goodbye” on July 11, followed a music video on July 14. The tune is a unique twist on their usual 80’s, high-energy vibe as the band explores a new sound without a lead guitar.

In 2009, four siblings came together to perform covers under the name "Ready Set Go!" They signed to Warner Bros Records in 2012, renaming themselves Echosmith.

Just four years ago, they released their debut album, “Talking Dreams,” on Oct. 1. It featured very popular tracks, “Cool Kids” and “Bright,” and the four original members, Sydney, Jamie, Graham and Noah Sierota.

The “Talking Dreams” tour opened doors for the band, leading to gigs as the opener for more mainstream artists like Neon Trees, Lindsey Stirling and Twenty One Pilots.

Since then, Jamie, lead guitarist, and brother of the band has left to spend more time with his family. In interviews about the album writing process, Sydney has talked about the unique sound that comes out of writing without lead guitar.

In an interview with Alternative Press, Sydney said, “That literally forced us on a journey of having to discover this sound. We still had electric guitars, but they weren't the center of the music anymore.”

Mimicking the acoustic opening in so many songs on the radio, “Goodbye” is Echosmith reintroducing themselves to the world as a trio. The track shows that the band has had to include more acoustic guitar rather than electric since their brother’s departure.

The single takes a darker tone as Sydney starts the music video with the question, “Is this where we finally begin? Or is this goodbye?” Her lyrics bring listeners back to a breakup hard to move on from.

The minimalist beat and instrumentation allow these soulful lyrics to come through in Sydney’s eerie vocals through the verses. However, the chorus explodes into a harsher invitation to stay out of her life: “When you finally find yourself, tell him I said goodbye.”

After the build up in the early half of the chorus, the intensity falls into repeating “goodbye” numerous times. The melodic synth sound gives more dimension to this section. As the beat pulls back for the bridge, the song becomes more relaxed, a marked break from the high energy feel of the band’s last album.

“Goodbye” came along with the announcement of “Inside a Dream,” their second album, which will be released on Sept. 29. Just a few days after the album drops, the band will begin a six-week tour starting in Kansas City, Missouri, and ending in D.C., on Nov. 20 at the 9:30 Club.

mhowie@theeagleonline.com