The Eagle's top contenders for songs of the summer.

Turn up the heat: battle for 2017 song of the summer

Who will have the chart-topping, party-hopping single of the season?

Summer is, undoubtedly, the best season for music. The warm weather signals the move from stuffy indoor venues to sunny outdoor stages that have sat empty all winter long. Tours kick off, album releases come by the dozen and festival season swings into high gear. Summer is truly a music lover’s paradise.

Summer also marks the start of an unofficial competition to find the one song that defines the legacy of the season, the "song of summer." Past winners like 2012's "Call Me Maybe" and 2016's "One Dance" have become unforgettable staples of every party, pool and playlist and are remembered as the biggest hits of their year. The battle does not discriminate between the genre, artist or artistic direction. To win? Simply get played on repeat.

Even though summer has just begun, we have a huge lineup of contenders for summer 2017. From veteran rappers to breakout solo artists, this season is shaping up to be one of the most diverse ever. Keep an ear out for these up-and-coming hits as the season begins.

The Top Contenders

“I’m the One” (feat. Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper & Lil Wayne)

DJ Khaled

Another one! Actually, yes, this is another hit from everyone’s favorite producer, DJ Khaled. With a lineup like Bieber, Migos’ Quavo, Chance and Lil Wayne, would you expect anything less? The infectious beat in this song perfectly accompanies any sunny day activity, and its lyrics, while seemingly trivial, will get you singing along in no time.

“Despacito” (feat. Justin Bieber) [Remix]

Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee

A bilingual song? Count us in! Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee’s track got a remix and feature treatment that pushed it to the top of the charts just in time for summer. The Latin beats are guaranteed to get anyone moving, and this song could totally become a staple in clubs over the next few months.

“Issues”

Julia Michaels

Simplicity is the name of the game for Michaels’ debut solo single. Beginning with a foundation of strings and building into pulsing basses and layered vocals, the song creates an incomparable sound. Michaels’ powerful vocals and personal lyrics make this a standout track, one that is perfect for screaming out loud in a car with friends.

The Female Powerhouses

“Now or Never”

Halsey

Halsey is no stranger to dominating the airwaves. Coming off her success with “Closer,” the singer has returned with a strong lead single from her recent sophomore release, “hopeless fountain kingdom.” With its R&B vibes and pulsing bass, the song is reminiscent of Rihanna’s “Needed Me,” but the singer makes it all her own with her signature crafted lyrics. Don’t think that “Closer” is the last you’ve heard of Halsey; she’s got a lot more in store for this season.

“Bad Liar”

Selena Gomez

Gomez made her return to the music scene quite recently but quickly found success with her new single. The hushed, almost slam poetry type vocals are unlike anything we have heard from the artist. Her lyrics flow with beautifully created metaphors over what can only be described as a quite relaxing back roads/retro/pop beat. This single has exactly what it takes to be a top radio track this summer.

“Crying in the Club”

Camila Cabello

After her recent split from Fifth Harmony, Cabello has landed on her feet, captivating the airwaves. Even with its simple, almost slurred vocals, the song is incredibly catchy and holds its own among the other ‘pop’ music. However, Cabello is just beginning to showcase her talents, and we could get another single from her this summer that could have us crying in the club.

The Veterans

“HUMBLE”

Kendrick Lamar

If there’s one rap song you should spend a day memorizing all the words to, it’s this one. King Kendrick has done it again with his masterful lyrics and a simple piano foundation. With its repetitive, layered chorus, Lamar has hooked us on being humble.

“Cut to the Feeling”

Carly Rae Jepsen

Jepsen is no stranger to producing big summer hits, but her new single places her light-years ahead of the young “Call Me Maybe” star we remember her as. The energetic song showcases her growth as an artist while keeping to her fun, pop aesthetic. Cut to the moment where this song is playing at every summer party.

“Passionfruit”

Drake

Drake has a horse in the race with his island inspired “Passionfruit” from his most recent playlist release, “More Life.” The more low-key track is still incredibly versatile, with a vibe for both a chill summer day or at an upbeat party. Will it propel Drake to a second summer at the top? Only time will tell.

The Wildcards

“Hard Times”

Paramore

The lead single from the band’s recent release, “After Laughter,” has been gaining ground with its funky 80’s sound and is just the track to follow the success of the fun and free “Ain’t It Fun.” Hayley Williams and Taylor York have created the ultimate happy-sad track with their revealing and thoughtful lyrics layered over a beat that your feet won’t be able to resist.

“First Time” (feat. Ellie Goulding)

Kygo

Kygo has been pumping out hits with some of the best female vocalists in the business, and his single with Ellie Goulding has a nostalgic vibe that suits the summer season perfectly. Goulding’s airy vocals pair perfectly with the sundry of synths and piano notes that build up into a beautiful musical bridge.

“Sober”

Lorde

With the recent release of her sophomore album “Melodrama”, Lorde still has time to make her mark on the summer charts. “Sober” is just the song to do that with its laid back verses and bold choruses. Haunting back-up vocals, soft drums, and bursts of horns create a unique, club-worthy vibe, pushing Lorde to the forefront of alt-pop music.

evonurff@theeagleonline.com